Used 2002 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 378 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Poor Performance
By Frank Cuca

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Beware of 2002 Ford Explorers with new rear suspensions. After numerous trips to the dealership, the noise was corrected with replacement parts. Now that the vehicle is three years old, the noise is back, and is not covered by the original warranty. It seems the aluminum housing used in this model, rather than the traditional cast iron, has created the problem due to expansion and contraction with heat.

Gas mileage is excellent.

Rear end.

Ford Explorer XLT
By laneyrae

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only problem I had in over 50,000 miles was the sensors on the 4WD - they had to be replaced once and cleaned several times.

Style.

4WD sensors.

Ford Explorer = Absolute Junk!
By Steve

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

An absolutely horrible vehicle from the start. This 2002 was actually a replacement for a 2001 that we went lemon-law with. The 2002 started off with a defect in the rear hatch, the plastic cracked. Then over the past year the following have been replaced: all 4 Rotors; all 4 sets of brake pads; the e-brake cable; the 4x4 transfer case; the transmission (yes, transmission!); the rear axle seals; need I continue?

Nice design, rides fairly comfortable for an SUV. Steering tight.

I suggest FORD close their doors, chain them shut, and go out-of- business! Spare the heartache that I, along with other Explorer owners, have gone through with this horrible vehicle.

Powertrain is terrible
By Randy

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My '02 has had a leak in fuel line, new cat converter, fly wheel in transmission, clutches in differential, blower motor in air conditioner, front power seat motor, had to turn rotors at 20k miles. This thing is a lemon. Stay away. I can't afford to keep it and the TMV is so low now that I can't afford to sell it either.

Seats when they work. Torque is good. Looks are good.

Push button 4WD is bad. The connectors slip off and when you need it sometimes won't turn on.

READ this BEFORE you buy
By Donna

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I LOVE my Explorer, BUT, beware before you buy one. Make sure you buy the extended warranty as mine expired in 3 years. I have only 26,900 miles on it and here's the diagnosis I just got from the service department. It needs drive chain replaced at a cost of $878.00. It needs clutch packs in the rear end differential at a cost of $800.00. It needs solenoid packs in the transmission at a cost of $800.00. It needs a fuel dampener at a cost of $240.00. WHAT on EARTH? I drive and maintain my vehicle as well as I did my own children. Ford engineers aren't doing their job. I was told they recalled the '97-'99's on the drive chain but apparently they didn't fix the problem for the future ones.

Body Style and the Premier Stereo ... AWESOME sound.

Ford needs to re-engineer the 4.0 liter engines as I was told it's the 4.0 liters that have a lot of issues. Almost $3,000.00 needed in repairs at 27,000 miles? I had a '98 Explorer XLT I bought new before the 2002, and looking back, I recall hearing some of the same ticky engine noises I have now.