Used 2002 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 376 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Ford Explorer = Absolute Junk!
By Steve

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

An absolutely horrible vehicle from the start. This 2002 was actually a replacement for a 2001 that we went lemon-law with. The 2002 started off with a defect in the rear hatch, the plastic cracked. Then over the past year the following have been replaced: all 4 Rotors; all 4 sets of brake pads; the e-brake cable; the 4x4 transfer case; the transmission (yes, transmission!); the rear axle seals; need I continue?

Nice design, rides fairly comfortable for an SUV. Steering tight.

I suggest FORD close their doors, chain them shut, and go out-of- business! Spare the heartache that I, along with other Explorer owners, have gone through with this horrible vehicle.

Powertrain is terrible
By Randy

2002 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My '02 has had a leak in fuel line, new cat converter, fly wheel in transmission, clutches in differential, blower motor in air conditioner, front power seat motor, had to turn rotors at 20k miles. This thing is a lemon. Stay away. I can't afford to keep it and the TMV is so low now that I can't afford to sell it either.

Seats when they work. Torque is good. Looks are good.

Push button 4WD is bad. The connectors slip off and when you need it sometimes won't turn on.

READ this BEFORE you buy
By Donna

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I LOVE my Explorer, BUT, beware before you buy one. Make sure you buy the extended warranty as mine expired in 3 years. I have only 26,900 miles on it and here's the diagnosis I just got from the service department. It needs drive chain replaced at a cost of $878.00. It needs clutch packs in the rear end differential at a cost of $800.00. It needs solenoid packs in the transmission at a cost of $800.00. It needs a fuel dampener at a cost of $240.00. WHAT on EARTH? I drive and maintain my vehicle as well as I did my own children. Ford engineers aren't doing their job. I was told they recalled the '97-'99's on the drive chain but apparently they didn't fix the problem for the future ones.

Body Style and the Premier Stereo ... AWESOME sound.

Ford needs to re-engineer the 4.0 liter engines as I was told it's the 4.0 liters that have a lot of issues. Almost $3,000.00 needed in repairs at 27,000 miles? I had a '98 Explorer XLT I bought new before the 2002, and looking back, I recall hearing some of the same ticky engine noises I have now.

Michael's Review
By michael

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The vehicle rides well and has plenty of cargo room. Would like it better if the back seat would fold completely down instead of leaving an angle. I like the gas mileage but would enjoy a higher one.

I enjoy the heater/air conditioner vent to the back seat.

Make the rear seat fold completely flat.

Used to like Fords
By Give Up on Ford

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had problems with my 2002 XLS since I purchased it. The rear gate would not latch and they had to replace the whole gate. It took All American Ford a week to do that. Front driver side door leaks when driving on highway during rain shower. The transmission constantly slips and thumps in and out between gears at low speed. Noisy cab at speeds in excess of 55 mph. The interior dash lights come on and off for no apparent reasons. Dealership claims there are no problems. I don't like the cheap plastic bumper. It is like a bug magnet. Not very roomy interior for a driver that is 6'4" either. Overall, I had a Ford pickup truck before the EXPLODER and I think that mechanically, Ford missed it!

Body styling, Rear cargo room and hitch.

Better luggage racks, less plastic on exterior, better transmission and electrical system. Does not seem to be air/water tight. Lots of noise and leakage issues around doors.