Used 2002 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 378 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

$2,300 in Repairs
By Jennings

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased mine used in October 2004. Put 11,298 miles on it. I had freeze plug corrode out & my warranty would not cover them; they claimed I had improperly maintained the vehicle which I have documentation to prove otherwise. Anyway, I had something else happen right as I was leaving the mechanic from having the freeze plugs fixed & the motor blew within 1/2 mile. Had to put whole new motor in it out of pocket. Have been without the vehicle for 3 weeks now. Had been to a Ford service department in town in Aug. & they did not notice coolant was "rusty" when inspecting it. Make sure you keep an eye on coolant color, even if its not "time to check it" so you don't have costly repairs like me.

Roomy, also has DVD.

Make a better engine.

Think Twice
By Kevin Kolff

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned three Explorers since 1991 and I can guarantee this will be my last Ford Vehicle. I have had so many problems with my 2002 Explorer, where do I start. AC went out at 38K, tranny replaced at 60K, rear tailgate plastic strip cracked at 39K, clear coat on all plastic parts gone, interior door material coming unglued, power steering pump replaced 71K, power lock motor replaced 66K. These are only the major problems; the list of the smaller problems is too long to list.

Quality. Make a car last longer than 4 years.

100% RELIABLE
By JT

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Explorer new -- my first Ford. Loved the looks of it. I now have 69,000 absolutely trouble free miles -- some towing light trailers. Got over 50,000 on first set of tires. Other than pads and oil changes it's never been in the shop. Best of all, not one squeak or rattle even after 69k miles, and I'm paranoid about rattles. Interior design is a bit hokey but everything looks and works like new. In fact, the whole vehicle feels tight like new. I wish mileage was better for a V6 but I can live with it. I usually sell at around 75K miles but I'll keep this till one of us drops. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. No, my last name is not Ford.

Reliable, no rattles, reliable, no squeaks, reliable, tires last forever, looks as solid as it's been and, oh yeah, reliable!

Steering's a might heavy. Plastic on roof rack fading.

getting tough to keep buying American!
By Kilbrie

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer with 19k on it. The front bushings were replaced as well as a spring tensioner on the timing chain (it sounded like a diesel above 2500rpm). But these were covered under warranty so I was fine with them. Then at 44k, the transmission took a dump! Thank goodness I had an extended warranty but I still had to deal with the insurance company and the transmission shop ... 6 weeks later my truck was done. Now the rear end is humming quite loud and the transfer case is leaking somewhere. The wind noise is getting worse every day. I had a Taurus wagon that had over 200k miles on it and had less wind noise and no leaks. I keep vehicles for a long time ... but not this one!

Styling, push button 4 wheel drive, nice ride, decent mileage for an SUV. V6 has good power, but would like the V8 more.

Better transmission & don't make it sealed. Consumers should be able to check the levels not the dealer! Higher quality paint (especially the plastic exterior pillars) and quieter interior.

Buy a chevy !!!
By nick from nj

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I thought I was the only person with transmission problems. The dealer acts that way !! Has been back 3 times for trans slamming and shuddering, still not fixed !! I am glad I purchased the extended warranty, even with 0 % financing you can not keep up with depreciation so you can trade them in. I will bite the bullet and lose money so I can trade it in before warranty runs out.

exterior styling

transmission and fit and finish