Used 2000 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 144 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Get a Warranty with it!
By BriGuy

2000 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

My first new vehicle was more unreliable than many used vehicles I had before. Ready for the list: Valve body in transmission, engine rods, oxygen sensors(2), transfer case, front differential seal, driver's side ball joints 3 times, tie-rods twice, passenger side ball joints once, center console collapsed, rear window leak! 5k in repairs! All this by 75,000 miles! Too bad I enjoyed it when it ran.

20 mpg not bad, 4x4 better than my old Jeep, body style, good power

All things mechanical. This is why people buy those ugly Japanese SUV's

Strike 2
By Jeff

2000 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

Started with 4 thousand miles with a noise like a dry speedometer cable that took multiple trips to resolve. During year 4 with around 65K miles I had Transmission issues, intake gasket sucking air, plastic arm rest, and the top problem was replacing front drive bearings, rear axle bearings, front drive all in a failed attempt to get rid of a noise so load even the transmission mechanic thought I should be more worried about it. So for the past 50 thousand miles I have be waiting to see wait is going to fail off so I can repair it.

Size, look, and the V6 get 21 mpg hwy

This follows bad experience with Windstar and I am not going to pay Ford to have that 3rd strike. Save your money and purchase a Honda or Toyota even used if you need to but stay away from Ford.

I love it!
By Tracy

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

This is by far the best vehicle I've had. It looks great, it's the perfect size, and it's really great on gas! If you're looking for a small SUV I would highly recommend this one!

Sunroof, comfortable seats, great A/C, sidesteps

Better shocks! It's like being in a lowrider!

A Good SUV
By Dave

2000 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I've put almost 19,000 miles on this SUV in less than 8 months and I have had no problems whatsoever. I had a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo before this so it was nice to trade-up to a car without a rusty spare tire holder and bumper. The Explorer is probably a shade worse on fuel but the Rodeo had a manual tranny. The Explorer has a much more solid feel, doesn't lean on turns, has a normal cupholder and overall feels more comfortable.

Chrome rims, keyless entry, powerful AC.

Stronger motor or better fuel economy.

Great SUV
By Rudy

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought my '00 Explorer brand new and have had nothing but exceptional service from it. 23 mpg hwy and 18.5 in town. Tune up and trans. flush at 90K miles. A/C still cold. Radio LED's burned out at 110K and that's a pain but radio still plays great. Liked this car so much I ordered an '07 as my company vehcile for the next 3 yrs. If you need a good used SUV this model is a great choice!

Very comfortable and dependable. The 4.0l SOHC motor has plenty of power without being a gas hog.

A tad more interior width would be nice but not critical.