Used 2000 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 144 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Bad Mileage "Gas waister"
By Carlos

2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I read the specs on this car and suppose to give you 16mpg city and 21mpg hwy. But every time I fill the tank I reset the odometer and I always get only about 10mpg city. If some one had the same problem I like to know how to fix it. Carlos

Comfortable

Better Gas improvement

Good car, few faults
By Scott

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car 2 months ago, and have had nothing but problems. The next morning after i bought it, somehow there was a hole in the exhaust and i needed a completely new one. Dealer replaced it after much arguing, and now my check engine and check suspension light are on, I believe i need a new mass air flow sensor and a ball joint. On top of this, my ABS sensor failed, and it doesn't work. Apparently this truck passed safety, but it definitely shouldn't have.

The looks

Make a more reliable truck

Great Car
By William

2000 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I never owned a Ford before but I decided to give a try. I bought in 2006 with 124.000 km on it and have had no problems whatsoever. I've put around 55.000 km on it and still haven't change anything, just oil and the belt tensioner. I like the car, comfort and I wish it would be better gas saver, but it is a SUV. I am thinking about getting a newer one.

Room, power, comfort.

Definitely better gas mileage.

Inexpensive & reliable
By Jay Tode

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased in 2005 as a second vehicle with 78,000 miles. Had several Thunderbirds in the past with no problems. This vehicle has done better than expected. Other than tires, brakes and a battery, I had no maintenance issues until I hit 128000. then I needed to replace the brake master cylinder and developed a leak in the radiator. V8 is responsive and I can get 20 on the highway if I keep it at 70 mph. Just sold it to my brother and I bought an 03 Explorer XLT with 60k miles. Hope it does as well. When reading other reviews, it seems people have no problems or the car is a nightmare.

Comfort for an SUV. This vehicle just fits me well.

None. I just bought an 03 - hope it does as well.

A reliable vehicle that saved my life
By Cara

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I got this car in college and used it to drive back and forth to ski races around the northeast. It handled amazingly well on snow, plowed effortlessly through deep snow, and also performed well on the highway. My only gripe at all is the low gas mileage, but that's due to the V8 engine. My main feedback about this vehicle is related to safety. I recently totaled this vehicle in a crash. I skid out of control on a gravel road (went around a curve too fast), launched off an embankment and rolled 7 times. My friend and I walked away with little more than bruises. Anyone who has ever seen photos of the crash is amazed--this vehicle held up like a tank!

Safety, key pad entry, spacious cargo, engine power.