Used 2000 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 144 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Nice Ford Vehicle
By glett

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased at 115,000 miles and sold it at 185,000 miles. Solid reliable vehicle mechanically. No major mechanical issues! Little things went wrong like driver's side auto window, electrical issues with factory radio/cd player. However, it always started in cold, never leaked fluids and maintained the V6 power and 4-wheel drive.

4-wheel drive and rugged dependability

electrical components. fuel efficiency

Love this little truck!
By azgirl

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Bought this truck used with 70k miles on it. It has been a champ. I have only had to replace the fuel pump in 6 years of owning it. It has 153k on it now and it's still going strong. Made me a believer in Fords. I really love this little truck. I have the 2 door model, and even after the surprise of a baby, the roominess has served me well. Great car for around town, could do with better gas mileage, but on the highway it does OK. Really the most reliable car I have ever owned. Would recommend to anyone.

Has power and get up and go. Great sound system.

Move the cup holder back from the stick shift. Make the gas mileage in town better.

Faulty power windows and locks
By SUVDRIVEN

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I've owned 2 Explorers over the last 15 years and both Explorer's power window and door lock motors burned out in both! Not a coincidence. There is definitely something wrong with the way these are built. I like the Explorer and would keep purchasing them if that problem was resolved. i don't trust Ford to get that right.

look, room

power window and door lock motors!

I love the beast-ness of it!
By L0V3 MY 3XPL0R3R!

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I love my Ford Explorer and the V8 engine! I'm capable of going shopping, grocery shopping, moving, or whatever in it without worrying about not having enough room! I'm able to travel in snow well without any problems, maybe with ice but who doesn't?! The 4WD is AWESOME! I would love to get the newer Explorer, why wouldn't I love it? The only thing I hate is the minor problems with it...the rear window wiper blade doesn't wipe-it wipes maybe 3 inches of what it should, the gas of course, and just minor things, which have been worked out. It's built to be awesome and have that "I'm a bad ass" feel to it. I wouldn't trade it in for anything less- even though gas prices are tempting me :[

The V8 engine, 4WD, the beast-ness of it all. The temperature and compass. The fog lights - my mom doesn't have them on her 2010 car!

Change the look of it, I mean they all look the same interior/exterior for years! The radio is somewhat lame, could improve it more--better sound system. Storage could improve, who puts CDs in the middle console?! Wider seats too :D

Happy Owner
By Ron Williams

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV

I bought my 2000 Explorer Limited just before the intro of the 2001. I average 18.4 in town and 20 highway and have 135,000 miles on it. I went thru the tire recall and a couple other minor recalls, but have throughly enjoyed this SUV. It's been garage kept and looks nearly as good today as the day a bought it. I really take care of my SUV as it is my second most expensive investment after my house. I'm not happy that the value has dropped so badly, but that's American for you. I'll drive this thing until either it or I dies. If I had my time to do over, I probably would have gotten the AWD.

The cargo area is the largest in this mid-size range.

I'm only 5'10'' so it's not a problem for me, but the driver's seat is as far back as possible. If I was 6', I'd feel cramped.