Used 2000 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 144 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

I hate my Exploder!
By jonesthai

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I have taken this excuse of a SUV into the dealer 12 times under warranty (that's including 3 recalls)! Door ajar light has been "fixed" three times and still comes on to this day. All problems include transmission, rear window, rear window washer, tires, ball joint, knocking engine noise (dealer said this was normal!), starter, rusty step bar, etc. I will never buy another Ford, anything owned by Ford, or anything that looks like a Ford again! Please do yourself a favor and look at another company besides Ford.

It hasn't exploded yet!?

Benchmark Toyota and how they do everything.

going to buy another Explorer
By fordblue

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We drive to several ski vacations every year and pulled a 21 foot boat for the first two years. Love the 4wd in the snow and getting the boat out of the water. Mechanical - two sets of brakes, a loose antenna wire and a stuck thermostat are it for maintenance.

Exterior style, the 4wd, back seat radio control and height & size of the back storage area. Stuff that goes in my Explorer won't fit in my friend's Envoy. Almost no maintenance except as recommended by the owners manual.

Better emergency handling. I understand that's been fixed in the new models. Engine should have more torque, maybe a high tech inline 6?

It fits in the garage
By CSnow

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD

Over all, it’s OK. The ride is choppy and rough and it averages 18mpg even with the best riding tires I can find. I would not recommend this vehicle for long cross country drives. The spark plug wires have been replaced every 30,000 miles due to heat damage. The brakes lasted 50,000 miles, the A/C lasted to 100,000 (4 YEARS). The engine drive seal failed and now leaks oil on to the manifold, leaving a wonderful smoke trail. The radio lights fade on and off at will and the front driver’s side door lock won’t unlock with the remote. Most of my driving is dry smooth Arizona highways with no rattling problems and a never used AWD and tow package.

Small truck, it fits in the garage.

This size truck should have better mileage, ride and larger fuel tank; 350 miles between fuel stops is too short. Seats are too high, I have to duck or lean way back, I’m 5’ 9”.

Not great; pretty good though
By Vic

2000 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

We are at the end of our lease. This truck has been as advertised, both good and bad. It's been reliable, its AWD has gotten me through a couple of snowstorms, and has ample space for our family of 4 plus dog. We're moving up to a minivan mainly for the extra passenger capacity. Although I can't complain about the Explorer in any specific area, if I could go back 5 years, I would NOT buy this vehicle again. Again, there's nothing really wrong with it, but there are many other vehicles that would have fit our lifestyle better at a much lower price. I think a car based SUV like the Escape would have been a better choice.

Nothing specific, but this is the most luxurious interior of any car I've owned. Ironically, I love the ratty, low tech sound that the old 5 liter V8 pushrod makes. Great low end torque. I think that this body style of the Explorer is still one of, if no the best looking SUV ever.

Very bouncy, choppy ride. (I hear the current Explorer is much better). Terrible MPG with the v8. A hybrid or diesel option would help alleviate MPG concerns.

Satisfied
By rtownsend

2000 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my second Explorer. They have both been reliable. However, Ford dealerships haven't provided good service. Not very good gas mileage for a relatively small SUV with a six cylinder engine.

Off road capability.

Better gas mileage. Highway is 20 mpg and city 15 mpg.