Used 1999 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

My LTD
By shadyjd

1999 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

Bought at 30K and 30 months old. This gave me a little warranty time to check for bugs. Buttons in the steering wheel went out & passanger seat heater was always on. Wiring fixed & wheel replaced by dealer ($750) since then tires, brakes, oil & battery. A few minor problems. Passenger door doen't auto lock, am/fm light out (clock2), rear window loose (I often drive with it open. Great to haul in. I ski new powder. Great in snow with new tires( req: wilderness), slide a bit on ice but I do too. Over 6" I got chains. 12" No-problem! Leather seats are too hard. Engine lite on but I am getting +3mi/gl. so I have not reset it. Rough idle at start. Needs more nooks. Would not trade it for the world.

Snow, tow,glow & grow. Pulled 3yds of cement. Played in a field of fresh snow. Never stopped except battery. Auto lift works great but better mileage with 1000lbs.Go figure? 14 city. Ouch...21 hiway. Cool for an SUV. Easy step-in. I am short for an Expedition.

Battery. When door is open running & interior lights stay on. As battery voltage drops turn off any lites & cig. liter ( inverter has drained bat.). Lock nuts on rear window. Area for second battery & disk changer.

Ford is the best
By tami526

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have the all wheel drive model with a 210 horsepower V6. It is the best truck in the snow. It has saved us a few times. This is the 2nd Explorer I have owned and will not be the last. I have not done any major work to it. There is no comparison with anything in its class. It's the greatest.

AWD, power, comfort

More factory ground clearance

When repairs are needed, they're major
By radioiowa

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased the XLT with about 50K miles and am happy to report that I am now at 155K. Overall, it's very sure-footed in the snow and roomy enough to haul the family and the dog. On the down side, repairs in the last three years have been major. I've replaced two fuel pumps in 5 years, the rear differential, put in a new transmission and am now dealing with intermittent, unidentifiable stall/start problems (the car stalls while driving down the road and/or refuses to start for hours but no one can seem to find the problem- leaving me stuck on the road with no warning). The truck has received routine maintenance religiously and has never been driven off road.

Roominess, handling in snow and poor weather, overall design.

TSB's suggest there have been numerous problems with Ford transmissions and electrical/ignition systems. I seem to be the unlucky recipient of both!

The best SUV in America
By bobby smith

1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle with 182,000 miles on it and it has run real good for me. It still doesn't use any oil, and all the power features work 100%. It also does real good on fuel 16-19 city, 21-24+ highway with the sohc v6 engine. The Eddie Bauer leather seats are real comfortable. It has a sharp turning radius, and the 4x4 auto gets great traction.

The great fuel economy, 4x4, relabilty, Eddie Bauer leather, looks, 6 disc cd player, that it's Americain made.

Nothing really

Absolutely Love my Explorer
By BB

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Explorer after my GMC Sonoma was totaled. My back was injured so I was needed something comfortable and reliable. I found it in the Explorer. I have had only two mechanical problems: locking mechanism went out on the drivers door this year ($500incl labor) and the “GEM” module went out so I don’t have washer fluid on the windshield ($300 for part from Ford). Otherwise very reliable. Overall great SUV.

Reliablility! Comfortable and sense of safety! Lots of room, keypad on door. Cruise control, AC is cold.

Nothing but gas mileage. Though I know there have been some improvements on the newer models.