Used 1999 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Great SUV
By Tom W

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Bought from old friend with only 88k last Sept and have logged almost 20k in ensuing months. Worst snow in NW Oregon in years and it soldiered through it, 34 miles each way, to work and back. Jeeps and other SUV's were in the ditch and on their sides, me and my Explorer just drove on as though we were inpervious. I'm a big guy, 6'4 215, and I fit perfectly in the car. The leather seats are comfortable enough althought the driver's is starting to sag. All the electrical is fine except the rear wiper which was a problem during the bad weather and the driver's door lock is frozen, but the auto lock still works fine. Paint and overall appearance is very nice still. Grey/ grey leather. Love it!

Engine (SOHC V6) and 5-sp trans work perfectly. Gets up and moves right out. Love to leave the kiddies in the dust with their little tuner cars. Gets looks from other owners. Color is pretty striking. Brother and family use it to go visit grandpa in Cent. OR. and kids have room enough.

XLT model should have moonroof as std eqpt. Just looked up cost of new and wonder why they don't show pwr pass seat opt.

Best SUV For Your Money
By Travis

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer XLS with 184000 miles on it and I put that baby to the test every day. Things like going muddin and have never got stuck. I also go through snowbanks that the Chevy Blazer Never Dreamed of! The only major thing that has happend to my Explorer was the Tranny. I had to Flush it and replace the Filter in it. Not to hard of work. I think this is the best SUV for your money. I took my Explorer to Kansas this Spring and I live 6 hours from where I was going and I got 21 Miles to the Gallon in my Explorer. This is the best SUV I have ever Had!

4WD, 8 disc CD changer

Wish mine had the 5.0 instead of the 4.0

Explorer sport
By frank nj

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bough the truck new 10 years ago. I have 77,000 miles on it and the only major repairs that I have done was a transmission (after only 35,000 miles) and recently the tie rod and stabilizer cracked. Good SUV, bad fuel economy. Now the little things are going, cruise control, rear wiper, rear defogger, gasket around rear window, keyless entry

Buy American
By Mr. Smith

1999 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I have been on light but rocky 4wd roads in Colorado, cruised the interstates 12-16 hours a day, up and down ice, snow, mud, sleet, rain, 0 degrees to 105 degrees with this 2wd machine and it drives like a dream and is still a beautiful red that looks like it came off a showroom floor. This baby has over 110,000 miles and will outlast any foreign SUV. Ford meant it when they said their trucks are built Ford tough. That means SUVs too. Best auto I've ever had and I have had a few good ones.

Beautiful paint, fun to drive, and reliable with no major problems.

Change nothing

Nice SUV
By Stephen

1999 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I noticed that a few people also have had the starting and stalling problem that I did for so many years. I attributed it to the cold winters in the Pacific NW. When I move to Arizona I still had the problem. I paid the dealership to find the problem and they did. It was a bad intake manifold gasket set. I paid $100 to find the problem and $20 for parts and fix it myself. Never again had the problem. I had the transmission replaced two years ago due to a broken fluid pump motor. I also have been told that the timming chain guides need to be fixed or replaced.

I love its design. I liked it from the day I bought it.

The only down side is lack of aftermarked performance accessories. I also cannot rent a trailer from U-Haul. Something about high rollover risk but I know it was from the tire problems Firestone had.