Used 1999 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Great truck
By Scott

1999 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

Truck has been great mileage 19 city 22 highway. Awd is perfect in the Indiana winters. Heated seats loaded up Ford made a winner. just wish i had the 3rd row seat like the 2000. Ride is quick and smooth. Not as smooth as my 95 ltd but smooth. I have 111,000 miles no wrench turning as of yet.

Power 4wheel drive leather heated seats fuel milage

Fix radio display problem the display go out. About a $100 fix

1999 Explorer XL 4x4
By fire2722

1999 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall not a bad vehicle. Had very minimal problems with it. Poor gas mileage (14-16city), but to be expected with an suv. Under powered, pulling a double jet ski trailer it shifts down several times to keep up with its self. Seats are little uncomfortable. Ride is ok, not bad for size of wheelbase. No major problems mechanically. Rear wiper broke, headlight socket melted, power lock switch, and A/C leaks like most fords. Otherwise nothing broke. 75,000 now and havent replaced ball joints as most have, and havent had any transmission issues as most have. Have owned for little over 2 years and selling in a few days now for better fuel economy and comfort.

Good amount of space in rear for cargo, folding seats for more space

More power, better fuel economy, better headlights( they dont project well after several new bulbs and adjustments.

99 Explorer has been great!
By JMA

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We have had little or no issues with our Ford Explorer. In fact my siblings have a few issues with their Honda Civic and Honda Odyssey while I have few in the six years I have my Explorer. It rides great, looks good, is easy to maintain, and handles very well for an SUV.

4WD, size, interior layout.

Review of 1999 Ford Explorer
By Aleta Walker

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my car. Through all the SUV tales of rollovers and the Firestone tire issue we survived and love this car. Only shortcoming is the view and comfort of the back seat. Ford should narrow the front seat headrests for better back seat views. Thank goodness I'm usually the driver.

I enjoy the height above traffic without being too big and intrusive in traffic.

Improve the view from rear seat. Also, driver experiences a blind spot when not only looking in side mirror when changing lanes to left but also turning my head and looking back.

Never Again!
By RLGHDAVE

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Bought used with 25k miles. Transmission (automatic) replaced with Ford rebuilt at 80K. Now at 140K transmission is failing again! This has turned me against Ford forever. Other downers: backseats very uncomfortable, rear seat belts torture passenger, poor city gas mileage, safety concerns with tipping over if tire failure, poor towing ability (UHaul won't even rent you a trailer), rear end wants to come around on gravel roads. Owning this vehicle for nearly 6 years has convinced me that I will NEVER AGAIN buy a Ford. My next vehicle will be a Toyota or Honda.

Great space in rear if you fold down seats. OK in snow. No major engine malfunctions. Interior and exterior hardware OK. Still runs after 140K miles. Fairly comfortable ride for driver.

I consider this vehicle unsafe for a novice driver because of handling. Better suspension is needed. Also, automatic transmission is all together too gimpy!