Used 1999 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

great Ford vehicle
By kavinagal

1999 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

My car has been a wonderful vehicle -- has always had good performance. reliability and such a good look. It's in great shape and has excellent highway mileage.

Good gas mileage/always reliable/looks great/runs smooth/easy on maintenance.

Would just like a newer model with a good warranty.

I love my Eddie!
By WolfpackGirl

1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

This is a great SUV. Purchased it after getting tired of my sedan. I love the visibility and safety. The ride is comfortable, the seats feel like I'm sitting on a sofa. When I retire this one I will buy another!

Two-tone paint, running boards & lights, comfortable seats, auto lights, controls on steering wheel, 6 disc changer, visibility, gas mileage not bad for a larger SUV.

Better placement of rear view mirror.

Ford=Fix Or Repair Daily
By LBozeman

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

We bought the truck new. The check engine light has come on 7 times. Now the engine needs to be replaced. We have put close to a $500 in repairs into this truck every year for the last 7 years. We had to replace tires after the Firestone recall, the truck has had a shake in it ever since. When we go over a bump in the road or our driveway, the truck rocks so bad I feel like I have whiplash. I will NEVER buy another Explorer again. I begged my husband not to buy this one, now look where we are!

Interior design.

Everything under the hood! Talk to any mechanic you know and they'll tell they see the Explorer in their shop more often than a foreign car or SUV.

Good vehicle
By cjweb

1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

My wife and I have owned this truck for several years and have about 90k miles on it now. It has been very reliable and easy to maintain. I had the the ball joints replaced at about 70k miles, as the steering seemed slightly vague on-center. That cured the problem completely. I also had the EGR valve replaced at about 75k miles, and I had one of the chips in the ignition key quit working one time, which required a new key. Aside from those three problems, it has been a joy to own. With the 302 V8, the fuel economy is about what you'd expect (14 city/18 hwy) but the AWD is fantastic in the snow. I've owned 4WD pickups and the Explorer is much more capable. I would recommend this vehicle.

Interior space, powerful engine, reliable electronics, decent brakes, trailer pulling capability

Drivers seat could move back farther for taller drivers, slightly heavier springs in back end.

Best Vehicle Ever!
By calicobobtail

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I know you wont believe me, but this is the best vehicle we have ever had. It is approaching 175,000 miles with virtually NO major repairs. I commute 30 miles each way to work, never have been broken down, and no problems at all. I purchased at 90,000 miles. It is a little narrow in the front seating, so a large person would probably be uncomfortable. 4WD works awesome; the gas mileage is killing us though. We pull our horse trailer and also large hay wagons for our horses. It has the power to do it.

Horsepower, ease of inside features, storage room in back.

Gas mileage.