Used 1999 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 152 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

1999 Ford Explorer XLT
By Vincent Horne

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This was a great SUV to drive. Mine had the 4.0 v6 and lasted until 2017 with 277,000 miles on it. The interior was extremely comfortable and quite good looking. Exterior was the best part. 4X4 worked great. Would recommend this Explorer to anyone!

Overall a very good vehicle.
By The Mechanic

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the truck in 2013 ann it is now 2018. I have put 40,000 miles on it. The only major problem i had was the transmission went out due to a failed torque converter. After repairing the transmission the truck has done great. It hauls a boat well and plows through any amount of snow that we get in Ohio. The timing chains can have problems and to repair the rear timing chains the engine has to be pulled out on the 4.0 SOHC engine.

They are good until they start to have problems
By gus heim

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this car for 14 years bought it fro my granddaughter, she needed help! Ehis model was recalled when new because it had a tendency to catch on fire! never had a problem until I needed scheduled maintenance, AND when the transmission finally went out at 123,000 miles. I dont drive very much! A few years ago, I decided to change the spark plugs and couldnt get anyone except the dealer to do it, Very expensive! YOU or I can not get the back plugs out to replace on the V6 4 liter! When the trans. had problems the maintenance is so expensive I decided to replace it myself! It is called the exploder by the shops that work on them. Badly designed and the updates on the 5e55r transmission change the design and engineering to make up for the defects in the original design., original doesnt pump enough oil to lubricate correctly. (No such thing as a recall on this transmission) .Designed badly! The removal of the trans is practically impossible FROM THE BOTTOM for normal people because you must cut the exhaust system out because everything is welded together including the exhaust pipe bolts. (there is very little space to loosen anything) Aluminum engine with iron exhaust manifold is a serious problems, when you loosen bolts they could break easily inside the head! I did the job! and now I will sell because it is a maintenance problem in the future,planned obsolescence! even though beautiful, with a better heavy duty transmission NOW) it is too difficult to work on because of the way it was engineered and put together at the factory,Too complicated,badly designed and hard to fix. BUT , par for the course today.. When I was fixing this SUV I drove my 69 DART GT I HAVE had FOR 40 years! They dont make them like this old car anymore, The question is WHY ? The Explorer is functional and is attractive and comfortable but it is designed to be replaced,not designed to last a long time. These types of vehicles are forced on the people by EPA , I Believe , but all we want is something we can fix and that lasts! 4 wheel drive and automatic, if not necessary is simply in the way of maintenance in the future

Full Use/Longivity/Satisfaction
By Sabrina

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT for 18 years and I must share with you that I have never been on the side of the road with engine problems. This was my "dream" car at the time of purchase and it NEVER disappointed me, through travel, family and regular use for work transportation, (including big dogs, kids, moving & craft shows). We have traveled across the United States during the extreme heat of summer and used the air and no worries! I have always purchased the best tires and was taught at an early age after getting my driver's license that maintenance is KEY to a healthy car. I treated it well with auto checks regularly and in return my car performed well and still does. Now that it is older, my maintenance costs remain low because the only thing I have to fix is from natural wear, like brakes, belts, filters etc. My leather seats held up well with the exception of my seat , which got the most use. I just really wanted to share how happy I have been for the past 18 years with this vehicle!

Great suv
By Steven Buchmann

1999 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

There are problems with the radio display failing, but it's a pretty easy fix if you have time to learn how to repair it. Other than that I've experienced absolutely no problems with the vehicle.