Used 1998 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Full of problems
By not happy

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my truck 2 years ago and have had nothing but problems with it. Third day I had it all of the gauges stopped working then countless electrical issues. Many problems with the suspension. This truck only has 78,000 miles on it but feels and drives like one with over 200,000 miles on it. Very unhappy with his purchase will never buy another one again.

Aftermarket stereo and the 4 wheel drive when it works.

Everything!

Only a month
By Mad driver

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this car for only a month, 100,000 miles you expect to have some problems. However this is just to much, even with a waranty! First off the transfer case went out, then the heater, as well as the ball joints on the front end, oh yeah and my brake lights decided to short out, as well as all the lights in the car! I could have been in a really bad accident if someone didn't tell me my brake lights didn't work. The electrical problems are so bad! One day things run great and the next, nothing works (windows, lights, sun roof, windshield wipers, etc.)! Stay away from this car because your safety means more then a sweet looking ride!

Leather seats and 6 disk CD player.

Electrical, and a smoother ride.

It starts, that's where it ends
By colonelredsock

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle (91k miles) for the 4wd, which works just fine. I'm now around 150k miles, some suspension problems. What's most frustrating has to be all the little things. Here's the list: rear wiper, oustide temp on mirror, Cruise control, led lights on/around cd player (had to replace with aftermarket cd player), lights no longer come on when you open doors, levers on both seats broke, fog lights don't work, headlights occasionally short out while on the road, all door locks work occasionally at best, I've had to replace upper and lower joints, passenger mirror fell out! All this and not to mention it gets lousy gas mileage. I get 15 mpg if I'm lucky.

Surprisingly the 4WD has to be the saving grace of this vehicle. I purchased a 100K extended Powertrain warranty and I have yet to file a claim for any such repairs.

The electrical problems with this SUV are too much for me to ignore. Apparently Ford has a history of this which I was unaware of. I also owned a 2000 Ford Focus ZX3 (electrical problems that lead to a fire). There's just too many better vehicles out there for me to buy Ford again. I was duped

Perfect EXP
By D.ARN

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I love this vehicle! It's 10 years old now and I only have 84000 miles on it! I drove it from MN to CA towing a trailer and it was fine! I never want to give it up! When the rest of my family all has new cars I just want to keep mine. The only thing was the airconditioning needed to be recharged. It's a forever keeper even in this fuel shortage economy.

AWD and big engine

None

Great Running vehicle
By Robin

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought used in 2006. It had 75,000 on it. We have not had a problem one with the vehicle. It's very dependable. We have driven 2 or 3 times back and forth from Michigan to Florida and from Florida to Missouri once. We have put tires on it once and replaced rear brakes in 2008. We would definitely buy another Explorer! The rear seats could be a little more comfortable, but other than that - we love it!

The stereo is decent.