Used 1998 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 176 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Good car if maintained
By Welderman

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

The Eddie Bauer AWD Explorer is a reliable car if properly maintained. I have never had problems with the drive train or engine (88,000 miles). It gets an honest 18.7 mpg at 55-65mph and the car is over 10 years old. My major maintenance was replacing rusted brake lines and rear brakes when they failed from corrosion. I'm big so I find it very comfortable, especially the leather bucket seats as do passengers in the back seats. The A/C is used a lot in the South and it works great. Change the oil every 5000 miles and change the transmission oil every 50,000 miles. Flush the radiator out when you change the transmission oil and it will last a long time. Built Ford tough.

A/C and CD changer

Standard tires should be Michelins

Great Car
By Ellen

1998 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car last year, It had a bad AC when I bought it & I knew this. It only cost me $500 to repair & I have had no problems since. It has gotten me everywhere I go & the AC blows really cold now. I really like all the features it has. I just wish it had a better MPG. Only other problem is the keyless entry sometimes works & sometimes doesn't. Great Car!

Automatic door locks when put car in drive. Rear Air

Make keyless entry remote work better & make it a better gas saving car in future.

Ford Quality not too shabby
By Andy

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I have owned Fords all of my life. This was our first and only SUV purchase. We bought it new and have only had to make routine maintenance repairs mostly. I did recently repair the door latch on the driver's side, but other than that it has been batteries, tires, brakes, and so far no tune-up. I will complain about two items: the stereo display and the rough ride. The display on the stereo went out right after the warranty ended and I know this has happened on many other fords. The ride is very rough, but maybe I just need to break down a buy new shocks. We have owned a Honda and a Saturn, both of which lost their transmissions at 80K miles, so I feel the explorer was a good choice for us.

Reliability, decent power for a V6, parts are cheaper than imports, nice family vehicle,

What else could go wrong?
By SLEEK_CHEETAH

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

From 2002 on up. The radiator blew up at least three times a year and the transmission went out at least once a year. The engine blew once and the battery melted once. There were check engine lights left and right. The dash went out a few times taking the headlights with it. The doors kept sticking and wouldn't open from the inside until the handles finally broke off. A few doors wouldn't open at all. I just kept fixing it all and kept saying I loved the car, now I admit I spent way too much just trying to keep it running. I spent 13,000 just buying the car, and I spent 8,000 or more just to keep it running. NOT WORTH IT!!!

COMFORT & VERSATILITY STYLE & FEATURES

Everything under the hood. TRANSMISSION RADIATIOR TRANSMISSION COOLING SYSTEM HOSES & LINES DASH & ELECTRICAL OIL LINES & ENGINE DOOR MOTORS SEAT BOLTS

Good so far
By Midwest

1998 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this from a credit union (repo) and have been having fun. Have done a lot of maintenance that you would expect at 125,000 miles. Shocks, water pump, tires, ball joints, etc. Now that it has what it needed, I would drive it cross country with no hesitation. It's good for it's age. Awesome in snow!

Body style, good drive train.

Mach stereo was faulty. (Probably the most common fault in this model year)