Used 1998 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 176 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Still going strong
By Sal

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought the XLT on Nov 2007, it now has over 200,000 miles and still rides great, purchased in California and imported into Mexico, no major mechanical problems, in fact I just replaced the gas pump, it still had the original manufactured in 1997. Minor problems with the locks and one repair to the cooling system, other than that just the regular maintenance, around 320 miles per gas tank and engine is really strong, no problems with cold or hot weather. People where I live stops me and ask me if I sell it cause it stills looks really. I have the XLT 4 door and changed the gauges to the white ones from the sport myself. I love my truck !

Style, really strong engine, fun to drive. Comfy on long drives.

Better electrical locks, the driver side has being replaced twice and the passenger side once.

Excellence
By Musclecar169

1998 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I own a 1998 Ford Explorer and it has been a very reliable vehicle. Has a 2 inch lift, Duel Thrush Tube Exhaust, and Cooper STT tires on it, as i go offroding/muddin with it a fair amount. Used as a daily driver. It is a great vehicle and has done everything iv wanted it to do. Iv only had to put new brakes, roters ect. on it, as you would any vehicle.

The only things that need improvement would be the hatch on back, rear wiper, and the rocker panels. The bottom of the back hatch is a bit rusty as are the rocker panels. The rear wiper doesnt work as well. I know of many Explorers that have this problem.

Runs Great but stuff breaks
By Jayne

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I bought my car brand new,had to adjust to it rigid ride, its reliable the only things is stuff falls apart, my leather seat is ripped up, constant problems with sunroof, CD player broke, rear windshield wiper doesn't work, only driver can operate the windows, interior roof is falling other than that its totally reliable without problems as far as the motor goes.

reliabilitly

Improve on the interior components. i paid enough for the car the stuff should last.

1 GREAT SUV
By gene

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this used with 45,000 miles. It now has 81K and have only replaced exhaust and 1 sensor. She still looks great and is parked out side here in the north east year round. Very Durable, and reliable! The 4.0 V6 is a great motor. I guess that is why they are still making it.

Power everything, easy to drive, great visibility, great in the SNOW! 2 rows of ICE COLD A/C and HEAT! NICE BIG TIRES! Durable fabric interior.

Better windshield wiper speeds.

Good solid SUV
By Katie

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car from the original owner 5.5 years ago when it already had 98000 miles on it. It is now at 238,000 and has never had any major problems. The only time it left me stranded was when the battery was long overdue to be replaced. We plan on replacing it soon with a newer model of the same thing. Can't say enough good things about this truck, it has been a great family car, reliable, fantastic in the snow and off road, and very forgiving of our lax maintenance of it. Hoping to upgrade with a new one with third row seats. Love this car!

Stupid little things that break, door locks,power windows, etc. Not reliability issues, but still annoying at times.