Used 1998 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Loved My Explorer
By Angela

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I have owned my Explorer for nearly 10 years. I bought it used and have virtually put very little money into it except for usual wear and tear. This is a great family vehicle it is great when you need to carry large loads. This is a vehicle I will recommend to anyone. If you keep up with regular maintenance you will have a great vehicle for years to come. Snow is no match for this truck nothing stands in it's way. I am giving it to my nephew so that he will have a vehicle he can rely on while he is just starting out and I am sure it will last him until he gets on his feet just as it has for me and my family.

This is very comfortable, Strong and tough. No snow can stop this vehicle and I felt safe no matter what the weather!

I would like the floor under rear seats to be rubber or easier to clean with kids.

I love my Explorer
By Ray

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Explorer new in 1998. It's 12 years old now and still going strong. It has never broken down or even overheated. I drove this car all over Europe when I was assigned overseas. I have to admit I'm on the forgetful side when it comes to maintenance and oil changes although I did take it the dealer a couple of times for routine fluid changes and checks. The car chassis does groan and creak sometimes now but almost everything still works. The AC is still ice cold even though I've never had it serviced that i can recall. I've never had to replace as much as a fuel pump. I love this car and won't get a new one until this one dies.

It's American made and four wheel drive tough. Bulletproof.

The console lid between the driver and passenger seats broke almost immediately after buying. Still functions as an arm rest but doesn't open easily.

I LOVED this truck
By cbeach31408

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

I drove this truck for 7 months with NO problem..purchased it with 125k miles, it was so convenient, and wasn't that bad on gas even though when i bought it the truck hadn't been taken care of, with an oil change, and tune up ran like a dream, got around in our bad winter here with no problem at all, I had to sell it due to financial situation, and SO badly miss it, am actually looking for another one, this was the first one I'd ever owned but am now an Explorer fan, my sister has one the same year, with 226k miles and never hesitates to drive it all over the country. AWESOME truck!

comfortableness, reliability, space, overall everything!

the driver seat actually has too many comfort controls and it makes it hard if someone moves your seat setting to get it just right again but that's the ONLY complaint

Most dependable car I've ever owned
By Mark

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I will keep this short. I have owned this vehicle since 1999 with about 20K miles on it. It now has 225K miles on it. Other than common perishable parts like tires and brakes, I have had to replace the 02 sensor, the alternator, the exhaust (because it rusted through the cats), and the gas filler fuel neck (because I broke it getting too rough with the gas hose). Most all of these went near the 200K mile mark. That is IT. You wanna talk about a reliable vehicle worth the money? I either got a really good one, or Ford built these right.

Still going strong
By Sal

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought the XLT on Nov 2007, it now has over 200,000 miles and still rides great, purchased in California and imported into Mexico, no major mechanical problems, in fact I just replaced the gas pump, it still had the original manufactured in 1997. Minor problems with the locks and one repair to the cooling system, other than that just the regular maintenance, around 320 miles per gas tank and engine is really strong, no problems with cold or hot weather. People where I live stops me and ask me if I sell it cause it stills looks really. I have the XLT 4 door and changed the gauges to the white ones from the sport myself. I love my truck !

Style, really strong engine, fun to drive. Comfy on long drives.

Better electrical locks, the driver side has being replaced twice and the passenger side once.