Used 1998 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

1998 explorer 2 door
By joe440

1998 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV

had this suv about 3 years,and always run good,but started having some things going bad,the first thing,is a skip in the eng,and we had a comp,tuneup.and we stil have the skip,and they have tested it and theres no codes showing,and also were having trouble starting this car,sometimes it will start,and the next time sounds like theres no fire,but u let it sit for awhile and it starts.if anyone has had the same trouble,and u got it fixed,please post and let us no what u found, we have already spended to much to go on.over all we like this suv and would like to get it fixed.

Hated to Get Rid of It, but...
By car314

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my 1998 Ford Explorer XLT brand new from the dealer, and it gave me many good years. About 3 years ago, though, it began giving me issues. I ended up consistently putting money into it nearly every month. Honestly, the body began to go before the engine did... but once the little things started going wrong, it added up very quickly. The last thing to happen was a cracked thermostat housing, once I fixed that, I sold the truck.

I really loved my Explorer, would recommend one, and bought a new one after selling my 1998. It did have awful gas mileage, my 2009 gets better mileage than my 1998 ever did.

A great little truck.
By burninrock24

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The option for my model was not above. I drive a 1998 XLT 4x4 w/auto transmission. I bought the car for $3,000. with 146,000 miles on it two years ago as my first car. It is still running strong to this day. It has had it's usual maintenance, that is a given for any car of this age. Sure, it has it's quirks, but regardless, this is a great little truck that will never fail you.

I live in minnesota, and this little truck is a gift from God. I don't know how many times I have simply powered through snow drifts, where big trucks have gotten stuck. I don't know how, but to this day it amazes me what I can drive through. It is a very versatile SUV also, it is strong enough to tow a boat, big enough to carry sheet rock and lumber, and small enough to work in the city. It has a sharper turning radius than my mom's maxima. Best of all is the durability. I have smashed through snow banks, toyed around in the winter, and even drifted into a curb, resulting in a bent axle. I had no idea until somebody told me the wheel was wobbling. The truck just kept going. It never fails.

The gas mileage could be better. I feel that if I were to buy a second explorer, I would go for the V-8. I feel like it would almost get better gas mileage because the engine wouldn't have to work as hard to get the truck moving. The muffler system on this is admittedly terrible. The OEM ford replacements seem to rust very quickly. Causing a loud drone in the exhaust. Very annoying. The interior design is manageable and attractive, but the build quality is terrible. There are rattles and squeaks everywhere. Not enough to drive me nuts, but definitely noticeable. The suspension is rock hard. You feel every bump, but it also gives you a good sense of confidence and responsiveness in steering.

Needs som e improvements
By Jess

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought at 120k now has 184k had to replace transmission, exhaust/muffler and many other parts that my boyfriend handled -can't recall what all of them were. Drives nice with new tranny. Problems: Radio screen broken- annoying to be unable to view radio station numbers, cd, etc. back window wiper does not touch window but it can swipe. Front driver power lock broke: repaired but still has trouble unlocking, leather interior rips easily with normal wear and tear (no pets.)Back bumper is bent downward for some reason. When parked on a slight incline facing downhill cannot get enough gasoline to engine to start the vehicle unless over quarter tank full. Very VERY VERY annoying!

6 disk cd changer, moonroof, climate control and radio control from backseat, great cup holders (4), wonderful sun visors with dual mirrors and lights, factory tinted windows

The fuel problem when facing downhill slightly is a very distressing problem, back wiper, back bumper, radio screen, door/locks break on many Explorers

Best Vehicle I have ever owned!
By Tina

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my explorer brand new when my 2nd son was born and still have it today! My son is now 13 yrs old. I feel safe sitting up high. It has never left me sitting. I have four wheel drive but hardly ever have to use it. I have a hill to go up to get out of my neighborhood. When it snows, most vehicles can not get over that hill but my explorer goes right up the snow covered hill. I will buy another Explorer when I'm ready for another vehicle.

tilted steering wheel