Used 1998 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

The original and maybe the best
By Wiredpair

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased my XLT AWD Explorer last year and so far, no complaints. The 5.0L 302CID is a tried and true motor and it doesn't disappoint here. I've found it be very responsive when needed and it certainly outperformed my '96 Grand Cherokee with 4.0 I-6 engine. The AWD drive system is engaged at all times and if you have previously driven rear drive vehicles, you'll notice this but quickly get used to it. The ride quality is smooth for a SUV and it also handles pretty well for a SUV. Styling is superior to the current styling IMHO, especially the chrome grille and bumpers. Fuel efficiency is as expected, I get around 19-20 MPG on the highway. I'd recommend this SVU if you are in the market.

My particular Explorer comes with a V8, factory sunroof, CD changer, running boards, premium wheels, etc. These are my favorite features and that's why I bought it.

All minor. Interior comfort is a little tight for 4 medium sized to large sized adults; if you need space, get an Expedition. The gearshift location in drive is not ideal as it interferes with the stereo. The rims I have are so hard to clean too! Not much else to complain about.

Great car, would definitely buy again
By JBoge

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Explorer Sport new and currently have 172,500 miles and counting. It has been a great car and virtually maintenance free. After 160,miles, I had to replace the brakes, front shocks and ball joints. Changed the shift motor twice and I have some rust on the rear bumper and running boards. Other than that, it is as good as the day I bought it.

The 4.0 DOHC offers plenty of acceleration and driving enjoyment. Comfortable to drive and dependable in the winter.

I noticed it is common for these to have some rust showing on the running boards.

Watch Out For The SOHC V-6
By Cibs

1998 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Explorer used with 70k miles on it and thought what a great deal I got until I found out that FORD has had problems with the SOHC V-6. It seems so much that FORD upped the warranty to 6 years and 72k miles and unfortunately I am just over the miles and years for the warranty. The problems are with the intake gasket and the cam chain tensioners so look out if your Explorer is a 1997 to 1999 with the 4.0L SOHC V-6. Love this truck for everything else.

Front and rear seat comfort and 4 wheel drive.

FORD should further extend the warranty on the 4.0L V-6 SOHC engine.

Ford Explorer, 1998
By MaryRW

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I like the Explorer and find it very comfortable and useful for hauling things around. However, it uses massive amounts of gas.

Well designed, conveniently located interior controls. Very comfortable.

Gas mileage needs dramatic improvement!

Great for beginners
By Karen

1998 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought this car for myself and handed it over to my teenage daughter for her first car. We have had very little problems with the vehicle. She drives it all over to softball games. I would definitely buy another one.

Great for long trips. Comfortable and trustworthy.

Can't really complain too much. Get about 20 miles to the gallon.