Used 1997 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

No more Fords
By Melissa

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle used in '99 from one owner. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone! Mine was in the shop more than my own garage. Replaced hoses, sensors, valves and had the engine rebuilt from the crank up at 75,000 miles! Replaced head gaskets and they blew again within 8 months. Ford doesnt have any concept of customer service. The Explorer was my third and FINAL Ford (owned an Escort and Mustang previously with very similar problems). Sold it as fast as I could and bought Japanese, with no problems to this day. Save yourself the headaches and stay away from Fords!

Looks good on the outside and comfortable to ride in.

Learn what quality is and build it!

Very versatile and comfortable
By wdbarrett

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our Explorer used from a dealer and have not had any problems. We currently have 72,000 miles on it and just love it. We upgraded the stereo with one that can play MP3's plus a 10-disc CD changer. The installer wired it incorrectly. The subwoofer is on the front channel, the middle speakers on the rear channel, and the front speakers on the center channel.

The 6-way adjustable leather seats are extremely comfortable.

With skyrocketing gas prices, we could use a few more miles to the gallon.

Maybe I Got Lucky
By rufus1959

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Powerful 4.0 SOHC engine, lots of options, nice styling, and comfortable. Needs better shocks and it has front end alignment problems. I got the timing chain tensioner and intake manifold gasket recall problem fixed at 50,000 miles. It has 101,000 miles on it now and the only problems I've had were two thermostats replaced, front end alignment, and a battery. It could use some new shocks though. Overall it has been a pleasure to own. I've had other Fords and I have experienced numerous problems with them. Maybe I got lucky with this Explorer. Resale value is terrible, but that's the norm with a Ford.

Powerful 4.0 SOHC engine, plenty of options, nice style, and comfortable to ride in.

Fix timing chain tensioner problem, better shocks, front end alignment, and improve gas mileage.

97 Ford Explorer
By Hermann Lag

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought with the intent of keeping long term. The truck was very reliable, good performance, reasonable efficiency. NO problem pulling a 3500 lb. trailer through mountains. Comfortable ride.

Everything within reach of driver. Fold down rear seat (60/40) provides large cargo area.

Cable linkages became sticky after a while and required service or replacements. PTO location is awkward; disturbs passenger seating.

After 7 Years 149K Miles Still OK
By dilbert2

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck new in 12/97.
Engine had to be replaced at 103K. It
was covered by warranty. Handle to
recline driver seat bent and
eventually broke off. Cost $600 to
fix. Wow! AC will hold a charge for a
season. I live in cold weather
(upstate NY) and don't bother. Great
in snow. Great towing vehicle. I
hauled easily 3000 pounds in the
vehicle with no problem. (32 bags of
cement). I have a 7 foot snowplow and
it handles it well...even though I
have a 6 cylinder engine. For the
abuse that I gave this truck it is
great. I can still hit 95MPH on the
NY State Thruway with it, get 17 MPG,
haul 3000 pounds in it, or tow 5000
pounds. Not bad.

It is old and sleazy but mechanically sound. Nobody wants to steal it. I easily merge into traffic especially if I pick a new Benz to get in front of. I still make money plowing driveways with it. Not too bad. Its hauling and towing ratings are hogwash. Triple them and you get th

I paid $24,500 for this truck in late '97. That is the same price for an XLS 4WD now. Not bad. Why can't they make an XLS with a third row seat for the days that I have six day laborers to haul around? Publish the real hauling and towing figures. I regularly exceed them with no pr