Used 1996 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Common yet reliable
By Lukas

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

My first truck. Big, bulky, gas consuming auto yet I can finally fit all along with my family. Mechanically sound and solid, I love the 5-speed manual transmission with hydraulic clutch - no problems there, good pick up yet sluggish if you do not know how to handle it. Clean and powerful engine. Explorer is extremely popular truck around and I was afraid Ford builds quantity and not quality - I guess I was wrong, absolutely no mechanical problems. The gas prices are the main concern as this truck likes to consume. I get better mileage with manual transmission but fill up costs me a bundle

5-speed manual transmission, good solid truck.

The switch between AWD to 2WD or 4WD, the switch itself reminds me of a wiper switch, should be more noticeable and more rustic.

A Better Explorer
By Jim Myers

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

After owning 4 Explorers over the years and living with their poor cornering, I was amazed at driving an All-Wheel-Drive version. No more slowing down in a turn 'cause you felt the "it's gonna tip over!" feeling. What a difference! It felt, and still does, like a big sports car. Very safe and secure feeling. Very well built. My ONLY complaint is the fuel economy! Typically 12-14mpg and 11 if all city. I don't lead foot (remember the Shell Answer Man commercials?). I'll never sell this one as in its extended life it will carry big things till the wheels fall off. I still love it.

Its overall performance and feel.

Make this a mid size SUV hybrid with 30mpg!

good deal
By mary cabral

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Have had this car for nine years. Has had very very few repairs on it. I did replace the battery three times and I replaced the tires once. It has 28,000 miles and still looks pretty new and the motor is in excellent condition. I drive this car on long trips and it has never stopped on me for any reason. I did treat it well, with oil changes every 3 to 4 thousand miles. I strongly recommend it. I had ever had a Ford before because I like foreign cars but this Explorer proved me wrong!

Reliability, gas mileage, good looks.

The roll-over possibility should be illuminated. I did have a few close calls when I twisted the wheel suddenly for whatever reason.

I truly plan to keep my Explorer
By jltacy

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I plan to keep my Explorer until the most expensive thing that can go wrong, goes wrong. I have only had 1 small part replaced since I bought it in 2002. I cannot imagine driving a car again. I am spoiled. It has over 110,000 miles on it and I have had no major repairs, only wear and tear items. Yes it gets 15 - 16 miles per gallon, but when you are not making payments that quite a savings.

Heater and air conditioner instantly performs. Heated side mirrors, suspension system-air ride system. Comfortable leather seats and lots of cargo space. And the color, I love my beige Explorer, very classy look.

Only more efficient fuel usage.

174 k and still like it
By WL

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought it used for cheap off a Toyota dealership lot, with 100k already on it. Had to be talked into buying it by the salesman, and have never regretted it. Drove a 6 cylinder prior to the 8 cylinder. Grandma won't get on the freeway with the pathetically weak 6 cylinder. but the 8 cylinder hauls! Bad gas mileage, hard ride (as expected from an SUV?). Lots of features, the 3.73 rear-end (read:traction) even got me around on Texas "black ice" as good or better than the 4WD's were doing. Tows a 3500 pound boat ok too. Tranny rebuilt at 120k for $1600. Overall, could be a little more reliable I guess. Buy one cheap and replace the parts when they go bad. A good deal for the money. Haven't been stranded yet.

8 cylinder power. Both front power leather seats, 3.73 limited slip rear-end (great for the boat ramp without need for 4WD). Power mirrors, outside temp gauge, pretty ice blue color. Versatility of an SUV. The XLT package is great.

Softer ride, better gas mileage.