Used 1996 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

SUV Self-Cannibalism
By Angelos

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

In 12 years and 115K miles of not-so-hard driving, our $36,000 Exploder has eaten its transmission, eaten its torque converter, has blown out its manifold gaskets and has cracked a cylinder head. I expect to replace items such as starters, alternators, shocks, even Air Mass Meters and O2 sensors. But I cannot abide a vehicle that self-destructs major systems years and tens of thousands of miles before the end of their standard service lives under relatively easy use. If I could sell our Exploder to the Marines to use for target practice, I'd do it in a New York minute.

Cargo capacity Snow-ice capability

Make the bean counters who ordered the flywheel to be made from glorified aluminum foil to pay for replacement torque converters. Ditto for the cracked cylinder heads, a problem that Ford supposedly fixed before 1996. HA!

Great Vehicle
By Dan Giesen

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I drive this to work all week. Pull our boat all summer and haul my hockey player all over Wisconsin in the winter. The Ford Explorer is by far the best SUV out there.

I really like the comfortable seats and the way it handles. The a/c and heat are fantastic. The 4WD is great in the snow and for those times when I have to take it off-roading.

The rocker panel on the right rear will rust out over time after 10 years of road salt eats at it, the rest of the vehicle is rust free after 11 Wisconsin winters.

Had it since new stil like new
By sealerdave

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our 1996 Explorer new in 1996 we have had no trouble at all except the panel on the drivers side electronic buttons broke I bought the mount and fixed it. Really my wife will not drive the 2005 I bought last year. She likes "Her Baby" with 55,000 miles on it. After 11 years in CA, I guess it's just about "Run In". Great SUV's very dependable. Not a bit of rust and never a scratch.

Driving turning and radius, 4 wheel drive, nice acceleration. Well made

A little hard on the ride over bumps (4 wheel drive )

A Plum
By CarD

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

This vehicle has never caused me the slightest heartache or problem. Beyond the expected ravages of time (hoses, slight rust, etc.) I have never had a mechanical or performance issue.

Perfect vehicle size, not too large nor too small.

A little more engine strength and heavier tail end.

Drives
By whoswho

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I had this car for a little over a year. I had little to no complaints until recently. This car is great for day to day however it is dangerous in a accident. The narrow wheel base on this year is prone to rollover and leaves you with no options to really avoid an accident.

Powerful engine, great interior.

Gas! If you want a Explorer get one of the newer models with the improved stability.