Used 1996 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Solid
By Hubbell

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased new in 1996 it is my wife's primary vehicle it has been driven across the US twice hauling trailers from 3-5K both times.

Capable off road vehicle, good around town, very comfortable. Has gotten a bad rap about rollovers, which is more a result of operator error than vehicle design.

Overall very pleased, no major problems just wish it had more power and got better gas mileage.

Almost 300,000 and Still Going
By philzleads

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the vehicle new in 1996. Mileage is now at 291,942. Just had the transmission rebuilt. The vehicle miles are mostly hiway miles. I have had the alternator replaced as well as the transfer case. Original exhaust, which needs some work as the bolt-on joints are rusted. Compressor for AC is not working, but I only use the vehicle for truck like duties, I dont mind. Use it mostly in winter/Fall for hunting trips. The temp gauge on the dash no longer works so either full heat or no heat. I have had to replace the bulbs in the dash behind the intrument panel numerous times. The engine, incredibly does not use oil as I have maintained it diligently. 6th set of tires.

Keyless entry. Leather seats. Great in snow.

Improve the gas mileage

Best Car I Have Owned
By CAROL

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car 5 years ago from an individual that bought it new. My Ford Explorer now has right at 300,000 miles on it . You read right - 300,000 miles. We still take off on 4 hour one way trips all the time. The check engine light stays on a lot but I have gotten used to it as the car still runs perfect. We drove it on a 4 hour trip this past weekend and it brought us home as always with no problems. I love my Ford Explorer and all the extras it has such as the keyless entry, temperature and compass. I would recommend this car to my best friend

Keyless entry. Size of sSUV. Dependability. Leg room. Wrap around driver seat

What a great vehicle!
By Great Vehicle

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned many automobiles over the years and this one is by far the most reliable. It now has about 170,000 miles on it and has never needed anything outside of the typical routine maintenance schedule. The 4.0L is not the greatest on gas (although I have seen as high as 19-20 MPG on long trips) it shows no signs of tiring anytime soon. Still has the original exhaust sytem! Amazing. While the vehicle has just started to rust a bit, I cannot let go yet to buy a new vehicle. It is nearly worthless on the books as a trade. I will probably drive this until the body falls off! Sure home my next purchase treats me as well. Great job Ford!

Incredibly reliable. Great in snow. Very versitile. Tireless 4.0L engine and seemingly bulletproof tranny. Shift on the fly 4WD.

Slightly better mileage for every day driving.

One long time owner
By TS

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned my Explorer for almost 12 years now, since new. It has nearly 150,000 miles on it. It's been very reliable, requiring less than the normal amount of maintenance of other vehicles I've owned. It's now my extra third vehicle, and I use it often for truck like duties such as trailer hauling and moving my daughter to and from college. If and when I need a new SUV, it'll be another Explorer, a true truck SUV.

Power everything is nice. The rear seat radio controls have been often used as the kids grew up.

More attention to rust prone areas in the rocker panels and rear wheel lips so my 12 year old Explorer could go 25 years!