Used 1996 Ford Explorer XLT Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Drives
By whoswho

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I had this car for a little over a year. I had little to no complaints until recently. This car is great for day to day however it is dangerous in a accident. The narrow wheel base on this year is prone to rollover and leaves you with no options to really avoid an accident.

Powerful engine, great interior.

Gas! If you want a Explorer get one of the newer models with the improved stability.

Love my Explorer
By hiyall

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought my Explorer new and have loved it for almost 11 years. It has performed like a champ on LA roads and in mountain and snow conditions. Recently, had to have radiator replaced 3x. It seems the new replacement Ford radiators are no good. They have each still been under warranty but the last one was only one day from being out of warranty. Sadly, I now plan to replace my Explorer because I don't want to chance having to replace the radiator again on my dime. This truck has really hauled everything for me and rides especially well when the back is loaded. If you are thinking of a '96 Explorer I say go for it. Mine still performs well & looks great inside and out.

Reliability, Truck-tuff with comfortable car-like interior.

Heater vent needs to be moved so that it doesn't pump directly on your accelerator foot. I have literally felt like I was burning my foot in order to get enough warmth in the cabin.

174 k and still like it
By WL

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought it used for cheap off a Toyota dealership lot, with 100k already on it. Had to be talked into buying it by the salesman, and have never regretted it. Drove a 6 cylinder prior to the 8 cylinder. Grandma won't get on the freeway with the pathetically weak 6 cylinder. but the 8 cylinder hauls! Bad gas mileage, hard ride (as expected from an SUV?). Lots of features, the 3.73 rear-end (read:traction) even got me around on Texas "black ice" as good or better than the 4WD's were doing. Tows a 3500 pound boat ok too. Tranny rebuilt at 120k for $1600. Overall, could be a little more reliable I guess. Buy one cheap and replace the parts when they go bad. A good deal for the money. Haven't been stranded yet.

8 cylinder power. Both front power leather seats, 3.73 limited slip rear-end (great for the boat ramp without need for 4WD). Power mirrors, outside temp gauge, pretty ice blue color. Versatility of an SUV. The XLT package is great.

Softer ride, better gas mileage.

Not for little people
By pmm

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought this car from my sister for my husband. He was happy driving to work and home. My primary vehicle blew a rod in the engine so I had to drive this car for six months while I saved for a new car. I drive a lot and I am only 5 ft. tall. This car has got to be the most uncomfortable vehicle made. It has been very reliable but I need to be put in traction now, plus the $75-85 weekly gas bill I could have just skipped the experience and paid a car note (minus chiropractor bills) instead.

Cargo space in rear,mechanical reliability.

More miles per gallon, seat adjustments for smaller people.

Green Explorer That Wouldn't
By Blue from VB

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

It is a roomy midsize SUV and the ride was car-like. It had a lot of nifty features as one would expect from a Ford that was not entry level, including a compass, temperature gauge, reclining front and rear seats, etc. The downside to it is when it goes it goes! In a twelve month period I spent almost $2,000 in maintenance ($900 for a heater core, $600 for a water pump 6 months later, then $500 for brakes and front tires). The vehicle left me stranded on two seperate occassions and I do my regularly scheduled maintenance on all of my vehicles. Ford's service was subpar and it was the last Ford that I will buy!

Lots of features, leather, gadgets, V- 8 power, aggressive off road look even without the brushguard.

Lots of features that I could look at when I was stranded off road.