Used 1996 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Not for little people
By pmm

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought this car from my sister for my husband. He was happy driving to work and home. My primary vehicle blew a rod in the engine so I had to drive this car for six months while I saved for a new car. I drive a lot and I am only 5 ft. tall. This car has got to be the most uncomfortable vehicle made. It has been very reliable but I need to be put in traction now, plus the $75-85 weekly gas bill I could have just skipped the experience and paid a car note (minus chiropractor bills) instead.

Cargo space in rear,mechanical reliability.

More miles per gallon, seat adjustments for smaller people.

Green Explorer That Wouldn't
By Blue from VB

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

It is a roomy midsize SUV and the ride was car-like. It had a lot of nifty features as one would expect from a Ford that was not entry level, including a compass, temperature gauge, reclining front and rear seats, etc. The downside to it is when it goes it goes! In a twelve month period I spent almost $2,000 in maintenance ($900 for a heater core, $600 for a water pump 6 months later, then $500 for brakes and front tires). The vehicle left me stranded on two seperate occassions and I do my regularly scheduled maintenance on all of my vehicles. Ford's service was subpar and it was the last Ford that I will buy!

Lots of features, leather, gadgets, V- 8 power, aggressive off road look even without the brushguard.

Lots of features that I could look at when I was stranded off road.

Will drive this one till it dies...
By LUVmySUV

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this new in 1996. Fabulous vehicle all-around, no issues, never been in the shop for any mechanical reason. I especially love the tight turning radius. It will do a 360 on a dime. My only complaint is the poor 14/17 mpg. I've never seen the 18/21 it was rated by Ford.

Sounds so simple, but I have the center and upper console feature, and I use it all the time. Great for storage in general. I'm always digging in it. Again, can't say enough about it's handling, overall power, and tight turning radius. It's the best looking 2-door SUV on the road today!

Can be a little loud at highway speeds with road noise; Also, the hollow steel bumpers and step-bars are showing signs of rust from the inside-out due to living in the North's high salted roads during winter, making it difficult to rinse away salt. Ford could have gone solid and saved this eyesore.

A Pretty Good SUV
By Wildbill

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the Explorer used. At first I had to replace the head gaskets due to oil and antifreeze leaks. That took about $1000 which really bumed me out on it. Since then it has been a good vehicle.

Look and driving feel.

More power from the V6.

PROBLEMS
By Cameron EX

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

What can go wrong on my Explorer has. I have had 3 transmissions. The inside is falling apart and the foil aluminum is coming off of my bumper and the thing is noisy.

The V6 is plenty for this size Suv. Six changer CD player (when it worked).

Burn it up and start over.