Used 1994 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

1994 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD
By Ryan

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has a nice balance between off road functionality and on road drivability. The Interior is comfortable as well as versatile. The 4.0L V-6 is a little underpowered, but highly reliable, and does supply enough torque for moderate towing. The SUV has a good turning radius, and visibility allowing comfortable driving in tight areas and heavy traffic.

Versatility, dependability, comfort.

More power, stronger flywheel.

Head On Crunched in Half
By broken feet and legs

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I bought the Explorer in July of '05. I drove it and had problems with the brakes and it going through tires much too fast, a bad battery cable, etc. It used oil. The dealership I bought it from said they had completely checked the vehicle out and it was in great condition. On Thanksgiving as I was driving to my aunts, a man in a Dodge Caravan hit me head on at full speed on the front driver side and completely crunched the entire front end into my feet and body. I became encased in the metal and steering wheel. I was cut out of the car and life flighted with 2 broken legs, head injury, lacerated spleen and liver. A month after I can't walk or stand.

Leather seats, good stereo, lots of space, power everything. It was a great vehicle until the accident when it crunched around me and almost killed me.

Crash testing. Improve the front end so it doesn't close people in metal in accidents and almost kill them.

Outstanding
By G Dogg

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Over a quarter of a million miles and still going strong. The first 4 years pulled a 24' boat every weekend in the summer. Have only used Mobil 1 oil in it. 4 sets of tires, 3 sets of front pads and 2 sets on the rear. 1 alternator, 2 batteries. Replaced the hoses and belts for the 1st time this year just because of the age. No rust on the vehicle and we live in Wisconsin.

Love it so much we bought another in 2002 and we still have the '94.

Satisfied Explorer
By triple_tap

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

We bought this vehicle to move across the country with, and in hopes that it would last us without any problems for the 3 years I am in law school. 2 years down, 1 to go and the only thing of any consequence was replacing the brakes! Very satisfied with this vehicle.

Plenty of room inside (I am 6'6"). Room to haul the dog around when we want to, or friends. Been on road trips with it, and it was great!

About the only thing that I say "I wish this were different" is the size of the storage in the console. I wish it were a bit larger! Everything else has performed up to or exceeded our expectations.

Satifsfied, would buy another one
By John

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Purchased this vehicle used in 1997 with 36,000 miles.. It has been a reliable vehicle overall. It now has 138,000+ and still going strong. It doesn't use oil, Transmission is still original (serviced every 40,000 miles). New radiator this past year and waterpump. Had a problem with water temp. gauge in 2003; new circuit board fixed problem. Only complaint is auto hubs went bad (plastic components) and would cost approx.$800.00 to fix from Ford dealer. Had manual hubs installed for half the price.

Lots of interior room for cargo and passengers. Excellent visibility.

Quto locking hubs were of inferior materials (plastic parts).