Used 1991 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1991 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Exploder
By JayBird

1991 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I still have my '91 Explorer along with 2 others just like it.. The vehicle is great! It's large for passengers, road trips, camping out, and off roading. It has 205,000 miles on the body. I rebuilt the engine at 193,000 miles and since I have owned it I have only replaced the mufler, alternator, headgasket, ball joints, and automatic 4x4 hubs. The vehicle handles fairly decent. lots of power for a 4.0L V6. Ride comfort is incredible! Massive amounts of intierior room! Off road it handles pretty good but it's not recomended. You will lose $869 in hubs so please anyone who owns one change the hubs to manual locking ones. The whole spindle unit and all cost $256 total one time price!

I love the smooth drive it provides! Plenty of room for all to ride. Great reliability .

Watch out for the Explorers with the dreaded "X" vin. They are an experimental vehicle! When I rebuilt the engine it was $1,700 vs $967 for any other model. And why would Ford ever make automatic locking hubs? They are junk! Major advice is to convert them to manual hubs.

I like it!
By desertamber

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

Well since we bought it a few years back, it's actually been a great vehicle. I've only had to replace the brakes once and now the clutch is starting to go...my fault. I was real bad at driving a clutch back then.

Most everything.

Exterior paint could have been better. It's starting to have some real bad oxidation.

Can't stop a Ford
By Ford Tough

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I was given my '91 Explorer from a friend. The car had been sitting for 2 years without the doors even being opened, much less started. I opened the door cleaned the battery terminals and cranked the car, it started right up and has ever since. It's amazing after sitting neglected that long it started right up and I detailed it and it came clean and the paint even shines as does the leather. It's an amazing car; I got mine for free but I'd recommend anyone buy an Explorer!

Reliability, classic design.

Better power window motors, tighter fit of interior/exterior components.

an Oldie but a Goodie
By Ford guy

1991 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 2dr SUV

My Explorer originally had an automatic transmission and drove great. Transmission blew up going up a steep highway hill (my own fault for NOT replacing the black fluid) & a buddy of mine & I wound up getting a manual from a Bronco II at a junkyard and converted it over. Well she's got PLENTY of power now ... the Bronco II transmission is geared lower & the "Exploder" is unstoppable in 4wd Low when going offroad in mud, water, you name it. Awesome truck! It goes anywhere & takes a good beating! I put offroad 31" tires on it, & without a lift she still goes just about every place my buddies go with their lifted Rangers w/ 33's. Plus the 4.0 motor knocks their 2.9's outta the water on the highway. (:-D)

Real solid body. Had a Pathfinder w/ 255,000 miles, still runs great but body rusted away to nothing. Explorer has 4 times as many layers of metal. 4.0 motor is the best feature, runs like a champ and gives ya plenty of juice when ya need it.

Well, its actually backwards. All the "improvements" to the newer Explorers make them less offroad capable & so fancy shmancy that ya can't beat'em without some important plastic thing breaking. Plus, forget trying to repair a newer one yourself ...t he old ones are a heck of lot easier to work on.

Irreplaceable
By desert rat

1991 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Had my Explorer about 6 years. Outside of a few mechanical problems which may be expected by the time a vehicle reaches 130,000, I have no complaints. I take it to rugged and remote desert areas with confidence, sleep in the back when I camp, haul plywood, lumber, bricks, plants, fertilizer, furniture and occasionally even people in the back and it is big enough and strong enough to handle them all and I can still turn on a dime and 4WD it through narrow places where the big ones can't go. It is a true SUV; its utility is excellent. I'd buy a new SUV but NOBODY makes a vehicle that puts it all together like my Explorer -- believe me, I've looked at them all.

Versatility, utility, 4WD, turning radius and fold-down-flat-and-out-of- the-way rear seats.

Better quality door hinges.