Used 1991 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1991 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Still love it
By Cobrasix

1991 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

I am one of those that will truly mourn the day I have to get rid of my Explorer (though my wife will not). I love the styling. I still love driving it. Perfect size in my opinion. When we drive into Boston, we prefer to take it due to relatively small size, curb hoping ability, age, and slow speed manueverability. I used to do a lot of off road and beach driving with it. Sure, it's had its issues. Only 1 transmission rebuild in 320k miles. Original AC compressor is shot, fan motor is intermittent, 2 power windows dead. All in all, better then I would expect a car with 18 years and 320k miles would do. I have newer and 'nicer' cars, but this is still my favorite to drive everyday.

Simple interior. Classic truck styling. Relatively smooth ride compared to even the more modern SUVs out there. Push button 4wd is so very nice. Great interior space. Been fairly reliable. Most failures now are due to metal rot (brake lines, transmission cooling, etc) from old age and winter salt.

It does lack power compared to modern day equivalents. Nice torque however and does a good job towing. At this age, biggest problem is the front hubs on 4wd models. There is a small plastic washer that wears out and you can't buy one from Ford. You either have to make one yourself or buy a new hub.

I Love my Explorer
By spotsrc2

1991 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Explorer from a friend to have a vehicle to use for hauling, camping, etc. I now drive it all the time, I am almost at the 250k and this thing is still going strong, I did have a radiator leak, and had to replace the condenser, but I will drive this thing forever. I am a woman that likes new stuff, but I will cry when I have to give this one up.

Room, and will take any abuse you give it and just keep on going

The best vehicle I have ever owned!
By Chuck Truck

1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My Ford Explorer is incredible! I have owned it for ten years now! It is a wonderful vehicle. As legend has it "Chuck" was one of the first manual transmission Ford Explorers to come off the assembly line back in June of 1990. The previous owner, a good friend of the family, heard from the dealer that this Explorer's manual transmission was hand built. And talk about craftsmanship! With over 200,000 km on him (he was purchased in Canada) he is still on his original clutch! Amazing! Even more amazing considering I learned to drive a stick shift using him! He can haul cartons, kids, groceries and everything in between. And so easy for a do-it- yourselfer to repair!

Love the 4x4 and low buttons. The incredible storage capacity has to be seen to be believed. I have packed entire six foot tall bookcases, a six foot tall armoir and countless boxes in the cavernous Explorer.

The electric rear windows failed to operate a couple of months ago. So, I ordered an inexpensive kit on Ebay to fix them. Considering this is almost an eighteen year young truck, I have no complaints at all. Replacement parts are readily available.

1991 that I can't get rid of
By james martin

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1991 from a person who took good care of it for 2 years. Before that, a soccer mom thrashed it. I got it with180k miles on it and now has 203K, and it runs as strong as ever. I have had tranny work done, but come on over 200K most 1st generation 4runners have had engine and tranny transplants. Simple mods like a K&N filter, exhaust, and other cheap mods give it close to 175 hp. I can burn tires easily! Great truck!

Exploder
By JayBird

1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I still have my '91 Explorer along with 2 others just like it.. The vehicle is great! It's large for passengers, road trips, camping out, and off roading. It has 205,000 miles on the body. I rebuilt the engine at 193,000 miles and since I have owned it I have only replaced the mufler, alternator, headgasket, ball joints, and automatic 4x4 hubs. The vehicle handles fairly decent. lots of power for a 4.0L V6. Ride comfort is incredible! Massive amounts of intierior room! Off road it handles pretty good but it's not recomended. You will lose $869 in hubs so please anyone who owns one change the hubs to manual locking ones. The whole spindle unit and all cost $256 total one time price!

I love the smooth drive it provides! Plenty of room for all to ride. Great reliability .

Watch out for the Explorers with the dreaded "X" vin. They are an experimental vehicle! When I rebuilt the engine it was $1,700 vs $967 for any other model. And why would Ford ever make automatic locking hubs? They are junk! Major advice is to convert them to manual hubs.