Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Explorer Sport

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:

Very durable explorer
By Ted

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x4 with 138645 miles on it now it has 155,558 miles on it and it runs like when I first bought iti put in Bosch platinum 2 spark plugs changed all the fluids (trans, both axles, trans case, power steering) It runs exceptional better then all my sports cars I owned in the past in power and speed. I put in k&n filter it is pretty good on gas for a SUV. I love it! I hope it hits 300000 miles!

4x4 low gear very outstanding. Climbs up just about anything an SUV can climb. Beats all my friends GM and Dodge SUVs in hillclimbs

Of course my mid console broke 4 months after i bought it. I have a short girlfriend. I took off the step ups. She grabbed on it to get in one day it broke off

Enjoyed it!
By Saved me from injury

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I really enjoyed my Explorer. I hit a median at 50 miles per hour (black ice) and I believe my Explorer kept me from getting injured. It took a beating but I didn't get a scratch. Also, it drove fantastic in the rain...I'm going to miss it!

Captain seats---the only way to go. Big and comfy. Front end--stylish. Feeling of safety while driving.

Two door? A major pain getting in the back seat...they didn't make the doors long enough.

nice suv
By bassraider

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car when my 97 S-10 was t-boned in an accident. It has been nothing but reliable and cheap to own. I have taken it on many long distance trips and it has been reasonably comfortable. The only gripes I have are the combo purse/cheap plastic center console arm rest that broke in the first month of owning it, and the rear wiper which never worked reliably (but who needs one anyways). As for the complaints about the rough ride, it is a truck and it has a VERY short wheelbase which combined together make for a very bumpy ride, needless to say if you don't want a bumpy ride get the four door version and say hi to the rest of the soccer moms for me.

Wonderful styling which looks as good as when I bought it, reliable, cheap to run, good gas mileage. All I've put into it since I bought it at 23k miles is nothing but gas and oil and it has over 90+ now!

Well they don't make 'em anymore so I guess it doesn't matter what I suggest. But I hate the cheap center console with a purse built into it. I mean come on Ford WHAT were you thinking?

Nice to look at, but ridden with issues
By Sam

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my "Certified" used Explorer Sport in 2005 and have had nothing but problems with it. 1 month after I bought it, the ignition lock tumbler locked in place and I couldn't even start the car, and my key was lodged in there. Ford charged $300+ to fix it. Then, the center armrest completely broke off after leaned on it just a little bit to get something out of the back. Third, the 'check engine' light will come on for the smallest reason and stay on. Then, my drivers side door will not unlock from the outside, it will only unlock from the inside. So getting into the car requires using the passenger side door to open the drivers side. I've only had it for 1.5 years!

The exterior is very nice with the new front style headlights. Good torque, decent gas mileage, and plenty of room for musicians, i.e.: drumsets & speakers.

To Ford Motor Co.: Spend a decent dollar to improve your interior and mechanical quality of your vehicles, and don't make the replacement parts so expensive! This is absolutely the LAST Ford I will ever buy.

first Ford in family
By Laurry

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is first Ford in family, so far so good. I am usually a GM person but have had Japanese also. The price was right on this so thought I would give it a try. Like another person that gave review here. people this is a SUV not a car; the ride is more choppy and stiffer than a car . AS IT SHOULD BE.

Turning radius is like my first suv, you can turn on the proverbial dime. And I like the interior design.

Mileage could be better. I know it's an SUV but out of the 5 others I've had it only beats my Suburbans that had a 454 in them for towing.