Used 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Modded!
By Math-you

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second SportTrac, and I love it more than the first. Have modified it for more performance, better handling, and appearance.

Bed and 4 full doors and plenty of room inside and out. And 4WD to get through the nasty stuff.

More power!

Great vehicle
By Em

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Sport Trac is a great vehicle for people who consistently need cargo room even though they live in an urban area or want to avoid the gas-trap of larger trucks. I've used the truck to haul hay and grain for my horses (which it does easily) as well as to take guests and friends to more formal events in town. Very versatile!

Rope toggles on truck bed. Passenger space. Payload capacity.

Including a bed-extender with the truck. Making the coating around the stereo more durable. Making backseat headrests slightly smaller to allow back seats to fold completely flat.

I love it!
By IL Cop

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my 98 Eddie Bauer Explorer on a brand new Ford Freestyle and was miserable. I finally talked my wife into taking the Freestyle off my hands so I could get a small truck and in steps the Sport Trac Adrenalin. I couldn't be happier with everything about this vehicle from the great styling to the smooth driving. I bought a used 04 with 38K miles and it takes off smoother than any vehicle I've ever owned. The 4 litre, 210 HP engine is plenty to pull this truck along and I'm sure it will handle my bass boat come spring. This truck is roomy inside and has all the amenities I need.

Great styling, plenty of power, very smooth ride and drive.

Haven't found any yet.

A good mix
By Dan

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love the versatility of this vehicle. I've loaded a fridge, mountain bike & TV stand in the back and carried 4 adults in the cab. You just can't beat that versatility. It's not a superior truck, nor a superior passenger vehicle. If you need a dedicated truck, buy a truck. If you need an SUV to haul the family, buy an SUV. However, if you want a vehicle that performs both jobs well (not perfectly, mind you) then you can't go wrong with a Sport Trac.

I love its ability to haul loads and 4 adults comfortably at once. The interior is dotted with handy storage compartments that minimize clutter. The lockable tonneau cover is handy & can be removed in 2 minutes by one person. The bed extender is great & the nearly indestructible bed is a perk.

Gas mileage is so-so (15-19mpg, though 17 is average). The ride is not the smoothest, but that is a truck for you. Consumers have been spoiled with trucks that ride like sedans. This is a truck, with a truck's chassis. It rides like one. If you want a smooth ride in a 4 door P/U, opt for a Frontier.

Bitter Sweet Experience
By Road Warrior

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Enjoyed this vehicle greatly for the first 63,000 miles. Then started having trouble with keeping it balanced. Had tires balanced numerous times, also aligned, purchased new set of OEM tires (old set still had many miles left on them at 65,000 miles), purchased one new rim that might have been bent in a pot hole in Danville, IL. Still the ride is not as good as before the tire rotation that started what I feel is a vibration problem. Don't know what causes this slight vibration, whether it's the vehicle or just transmitting road imperfections. Considering trading for a 2007.

Favorite featured is the open bed that allows me to carry the house garbage with me every Sundays from Cincinnati to IL since you can't leave it by the curb for Wednesday pickup. Love the high driving position, great visibility. The 4wd gave me a great deal of comfort for the last two winters.

If V8 cars can get 26 or better mpg, why can't an unloaded V6 pickup, on flat roads, on cruise control not get better than 19 to 20 mpg even at 75 mph.