Used 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Great SUV
By centenial

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had this Ford since I bought it. I had every intention of keeping it except for an accident that almost could have claimed my life. But due to the good lord and a well built vehicle we survived the accident although the Explorer was totaled. I had nothing but good driving experience with this truck. Very spacious, comfortable, and quiet, and plush. The only drawback that I was working on fixing was the need for at least a 4" lift, and than I believe this SUV would be a very capable 4x4.

Great little truck
By SnowBeast

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new with less than 100 miles after my 94 ranger was totalled by a kid running a light. This truck is a beast in the snow. Winter 06' brought 2 major blizzards here with over 2ft of snow each time within 2 weeks. Had to blast through drifts over 4 ft to get to work. No problem at all. That is even with the crap stock goodyear RT/S tires. Tires started "thumping at 10k. Had to replace pads and rotors at 30k. Repair shop said a caliper was frozen on the right front and chewed throught the rotor. Replaced rotors, pads and calipers over $700. Now the breaks constantly squeak. Besides that have not had any mechanical issues what so ever "knock on wood"

Audiophile stereo rocks, tows good, very versatile, interior is stylish (grey leather) deep snow is no match in 4WD. Even better with meatier tires.

Better brakes, wish it was flex fuel capable, mpg, better tires stock. Vibration possibly from cupped tires under braking. (brakes checked fine)

Be Careful
By Chris

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck with under 65,000 miles on it, and never had a problem. As soon as I turned it over to 90,000 miles a lower rod broke in my engine and a couple thousand dollars later, here I sit. I had loved this truck, but am very reluctant to buy Ford again. I changed oil every 3000 miles and get up maintenance.

Love the look and all the power options.

Gas mileage and better engine parts. A bigger and more comfortable back seat would be nice.

Awesome truck!
By Moms Ride

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this truck! Not only does it look good, but it handles great too, in all kinds of weather and all kinds of terrain. Parking is a breeze, because it turns on a dime. The 4 doors help to make family living convenient, as well as shopping, with the fold down seats. I will definitely buy another!

There are so many...4 doors, sun roof, back vent window, running boards, audio system, fog lights, electric seat, rear heat/audio controls, rear fold down separate seats, cruise control, 4wd, auto headlights.

Needs rear window defrost, Middle console compartment, between bucket seats, lid should open side ways, instead of front lift up. Not convenient for driver. Mirror obstructs front right view in proportion to seat height, works if in lowered position. Maybe put mirror higher on window or shorten it.

6 Years and NO PROBLEMS
By A penny

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

We love our Sport Trac. Our rule is when a car breaks down, we fix it then get rid of it. We have had our Sport Trac since January 2001 and have approximately 58k miles. We purchased an extended warranty but never had to use it. We have replaced our other car three times in the past 6 years. We did all of our regular maintenance, but no other repairs. In fact, we have original brake pads and tires. The only semi-complaint I can think of is it does not have the best turning radius (4x2). This is the first car that we will trade before a break down (I just want a new one).

Car like ride, SUV like interior, pick up truck convenience...versatile.