Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Best of everything
By S Lillard

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

At first when I drove the Sport Trac I remember thinking that it drove more like a car than a truck. I had just gave my reliable F-150 to my son-in-law prior to buying the Sport Trac from an acquaintance. The previous truck had given me 269,000 miles and was still running strong and looked newer than the 1995 that it was. I was now hoping the Sport Trac would be as loyal. Now at 100,000 and going strong without any problems thus far. I live in the country, use the Sport Trac as a dirt road explorer, and love driving it. It looks good and it feels good.

Fold down rear seats that give half options, rear window that rolls all or partial way. Stereo that can be controlled by rear occupants as well as the air condition controls in the rear. There's a bed port for coolers, etc. compass and digital thermometer, leather seats, moon roof, adjustable seats.

Would like the option of opening the rear tail gate by swing also in addition to lift.

Ford Explorer Sport Trac
By ford

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle was purchased to tow small trailers and it performs fine. Gas mileage is not acceptable as it is well below the advertised sticker quote. Workmanship is poor. Have had problems from paint and loose body parts to major mechanical problems. All were promptly taken care of by the dealer, but some are reoccurring and the vehicle is no longer under warranty.

I love the design and the ease of using the 4-wheel drive. I like having a passenger car with a pickup bed

Best Truck I've Ever Owned
By J Ketchum

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was driving to the Jeep dealer to trade in and buy a new Jeep when I saw the Sport Trac. I stopped and looked at the truck, with no sales pressure I went for a test drive and loved every minute. I got a great price and drove home. After 105k miles this truck has never let me down. I can`t say this about the imports I've owned.

The seats (I spend a lot of time on them). Power back window.

V8 power.

Sport Trac - American Car
By Trac Owner

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The Sport Trac is the second Ford I have owned. In my experience the quality has been outstanding but fuel economy has been worse than any of the several foreign vehicles I've owned. Took it to repair shop; they did computer analysis; couldn't find a problem. Suggested using premium gas which didn't help only cost me more money to buy! I'm going back to foreign made especially with gas prices today.

Everything I Was Looking For
By Ray

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's the perfect vehicle - especially in Western NY. Great to take camping/fishing in the summer - holds all the family gear. The 4WD is awesome in the snow heading to the cabin for hunting. Got it brand new when they came out and will drive it into the ground - hopefully not for a very long time. Runs great - never had a problem with it.

Locking tonneau cover, back window that vents or goes all the way down, 4WD, climate control for back passenger.

More ground clearance - side steps are a little too low. Few more inches for back passenger leg room. Minor things - I love my Trac.