Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Ford should recall Sport Tracs
By last ford?

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Only complaint on the interior is the lumbar support on the driver's seat. Love the floor (no carpet), plenty of room, lot's of adjustability. The exterior is great. Fuel mileage has been as expected (15 city, 19 highway). Good power. Rides like a truck, but it is a truck. Mechanically, Ford should issue a recall for brake problems. At 70,000 miles, it's on it's 4th set of brakes and 2nd set of rotors. Our Honda just had brakes for the 1st time at over 100,000 miles. We don't drive off-road, we've had no accidents, and we don't tow anything. We don't ride brakes, and we don't slam on them. This is clearly a Ford problem.

Composite truck bed, interior materials, sliding rear window.

Brakes and rotors that last more than 50,000 miles. The Ford engineers should be ashamed for the mechanical defects, and the Ford management team should issue recalls to permanently fix the brake problems.

Ok, but could be better
By drew

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Was fine till O/D light blinked, then transmission work, then ball joints, brakes etc. Keep up with those and its a decent vehicle. Mileage is kinda bad, but decent overall. Had other SUV vehicles that were worse. Sure there is some maintenance expense, but not like other vehicles.

Fold down rear seat. Heater is phenomenal. I hate the cold.

Put grease fittings on ball joints so they can be maintained. Better transmission.

Transmission problems
By Frank Grimes

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The SportTrac is a decent vehicle and served me well over a five year period. The truck's versatility and mix of luxury and ruggedness allowed it to handle most situations well. The windshield is prone to cracking when operating the defrosters in cold weather. There are a few sensors that have a tendency to fail. However, my biggest issue with the truck came at 95,000 miles when the automatic transmission ceased to function. The truck was well maintained, so the failure was quite a surprise. After much research, and expense, I found that this was common among these trucks. The automatic transmission has design flaws. Beware the blinking "O/D Off" light of death.

Rear seat A/C controls. Composite bed. Power adjustable seats and mirrors. Rides more like a car then a truck. Power down rear window.

MPG. Reliability. Automatic transmission should last longer.

GREAT Family SUT
By Dave HArmon

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used with about 30k. It now has over 50K and the only problem was left rear turn signal would not work sometimes. I tracked the problem to the switch in the column. The wire for that bulb was too short, factory defect, and would get pulled enough to stop the electrical feed. Other than that it has been a great little truck.

Small enough to park easily and still has a small truck bed with four full doors. The automatic shifts extremely smooth.

None. This is a perfect vehicle for me and my family.

My Sport Trac
By Candy

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am the original owner of my Sport Trac. I have really enjoyed the versatility of the truck. I did have trouble with the belt sounding like crickets. After getting the tensioner pulley replaced the belt doesn't make the noises anymore.

I love that the backseats will fold down flat together or separately. I love the back power window. I like my factory tonneau cover and the versatility of it.

The exterior design could have been better on the back of the cab. When the rear power window is open and there is water from rain on top of the cab the backseat passengers will get wet on acceleration. The two other designs I don't care for. The backseat door handles should be higher.