2018 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Highly Satisfied After 8+ Months
By Rob S.

2018 Ford Expedition Platinum 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 10A)

The redesign team did a fantastic job with high attention to detail. Virtually no problems. I agree with another reviewer a conventional auto transmission shifter would be preferable to the round dial selector knob which can easily be moved into wrong position. I also question whether the lane keeping assist could cause an accident if in a slide and trying to steer out of it. It will cause sudden and erratic steering on rare occasions, and not sure if it would jerk the steering wheel if trying to quickly avoid a close call. Otherwise, the vehicle is amazing and I've never owned a vehicle that is so well designed for comfort and driving enjoyment.

Towing trap
By Jo Se

2018 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 10A)

All reviews and Ford sell towing capabilities. BUT, once you finally locate the fine print, you realize the limitations unless you pile on the expensive numerous options. Limit maybe 6,000 TOTAL! 7/18 bought 2018 XLT FX4 with Class IV trailer towing package and other options to use in new to be purchased travel trailer towing. But, can’t tow the weight (despite being well under touted 9,200 pounds) AND missing trailer brake controller that requires yet another option package or to install after purchase. Dealers don't know or can’t do after purchase of what could be multiple days in the shop and $500-600 plus — if they could do it. Given brake controller is required for almost all towing and many laws, does Ford ignore liability if someone tows without and causes crash? Buyer beware.

Joy to Total Disappointment
By TBF

2018 Ford Expedition Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 10A)

After picking up our 2018 Expedition in January both my wife and were totally excited about what Ford had produced.We havedriven full size SUV ‘S for 25 year.We enjoyed the handling, engine performance and technology feature in our new Expedition. But unfortunately that didn’t last long. After bring the truck to the car wash it would start flashing warnings on the dash repeatedly :Forward Collision Warning Blind Spot Detect System Trailer Harness Warning. 2 Trips to the dealer they couldn’t duplicate it despite the fact I had 40 warning sent to my Ford Pass. On the 3 visit they found a defective harness , but Ford had that part on Backorder . The part arrives in 20 days but after installed a secondary problem with the Air Bag System requires another part not available. Bottom line we have been without our Expedition since 6/26/18 today is 8/1/18. We have made every effort to contacts Ford Motor Company and to date can’t get anyone to talk to or address our issues. Wonderful product but Ford forgot about Customer Satisfaction Buyer Beware. A one time loyal Ford Customer Feeling Betrayed

Great Vehicle but Ford Engineers What the Hell...
By Kc Steeler

2018 Ford Expedition MAX XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 10A)

Great travel vehicle, love to drive and styling in great. However, the rotary shift selector is ridiculous and can cause confusion if quick reaction needed. Hard to find the selector in a hurry -- as human reaction reflex might think "round knob" but reach for radio control "round knob" instead. Too many competing round knobs. Sometimes have to take eye off road to fiddle with selector. Put in a column shift or console level to shift. It feels like you castrated the vehicle by eliminating a large level that is more intuitive. Also too much electronics and gizmo's that may act up in the future. Who needs a motor-activated emergency brake...just one more thing to break or malfunction in future. Why is there not an in-line fuel filter instead of a "life time filter" that is integrated with the fuel pump inside the gas tank? I'd hate to accidentally get some gas with sediment stirred up and have to have the fuel pump integrated filter system impacted and need replaced and have the tank is pulled and reinstalled to do this work. The automatic transmission has no dip stick? What the hell... manual says look for slipping transmission or leaks instead.

Big Is Back
By ZooDog

2018 Ford Expedition Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 10A)

We traded in a 10-year old GMC 4X4 SUV a couple of months ago for a 2018 Ford Expedition Limited 4WD. It is big and handles more like a truck than a sports car. We had full-size conversion vans when the kids were growing up so I don't mind the "big" feature. Then we switched to SUVs (Chevy Blazers, GMC Envoy). We've taken the Expedition on one long road trip so far with five adults and a dog, no one complained about the ride. The passengers gave the wifi hot spot a workout which worked fine. The adaptive cruse control, lane keeping assist, and the rain sensing wipers all worked as they should. The ecoboost provided plenty of power for highway driving and the 10-speed transmission was as smooth as butter. My wife is the first to complain if the seats aren't comfortable and she really likes the seats in the Expedition. The infotainment system was easy to use. Great sound. We've got a little sedan for most of our trips around town but we needed something big that can pull a trailer for longer trips. I looked at all of the larger crossovers plus the Tahoe/Yukon. The Expedition is perfect for us. The price will set you back if you haven't been in the market for a big SUV in a while. We got an OK deal from the local Ford dealer. Haven't had any reason to take it back for service yet. I told my wife that she didn't need to take the key fob out of her purse to unlock the door. Just touch the handle and it will unlock for you. She thought I was playing a prank on her. She made me walk around to the other side of the building to see if I was telling the truth. This may be her favorite feature. I'm still getting use to the whole "keyless" feature too.