2018 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Great Vehicle but Ford Engineers What the Hell...
By Kc Steeler

2018 Ford Expedition MAX XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 10A)

Great travel vehicle, love to drive and styling in great. However, the rotary shift selector is ridiculous and can cause confusion if quick reaction needed. Hard to find the selector in a hurry -- as human reaction reflex might think "round knob" but reach for radio control "round knob" instead. Too many competing round knobs. Sometimes have to take eye off road to fiddle with selector. Put in a column shift or console level to shift. It feels like you castrated the vehicle by eliminating a large level that is more intuitive. Also too much electronics and gizmo's that may act up in the future. Who needs a motor-activated emergency brake...just one more thing to break or malfunction in future. Why is there not an in-line fuel filter instead of a "life time filter" that is integrated with the fuel pump inside the gas tank? I'd hate to accidentally get some gas with sediment stirred up and have to have the fuel pump integrated filter system impacted and need replaced and have the tank is pulled and reinstalled to do this work. The automatic transmission has no dip stick? What the hell... manual says look for slipping transmission or leaks instead.

Big Is Back
By ZooDog

2018 Ford Expedition Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 10A)

We traded in a 10-year old GMC 4X4 SUV a couple of months ago for a 2018 Ford Expedition Limited 4WD. It is big and handles more like a truck than a sports car. We had full-size conversion vans when the kids were growing up so I don't mind the "big" feature. Then we switched to SUVs (Chevy Blazers, GMC Envoy). We've taken the Expedition on one long road trip so far with five adults and a dog, no one complained about the ride. The passengers gave the wifi hot spot a workout which worked fine. The adaptive cruse control, lane keeping assist, and the rain sensing wipers all worked as they should. The ecoboost provided plenty of power for highway driving and the 10-speed transmission was as smooth as butter. My wife is the first to complain if the seats aren't comfortable and she really likes the seats in the Expedition. The infotainment system was easy to use. Great sound. We've got a little sedan for most of our trips around town but we needed something big that can pull a trailer for longer trips. I looked at all of the larger crossovers plus the Tahoe/Yukon. The Expedition is perfect for us. The price will set you back if you haven't been in the market for a big SUV in a while. We got an OK deal from the local Ford dealer. Haven't had any reason to take it back for service yet. I told my wife that she didn't need to take the key fob out of her purse to unlock the door. Just touch the handle and it will unlock for you. She thought I was playing a prank on her. She made me walk around to the other side of the building to see if I was telling the truth. This may be her favorite feature. I'm still getting use to the whole "keyless" feature too.

Needed Improvement
By K B Dickson

2018 Ford Expedition MAX Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 10A)

Expedition was in dire need of an update and Ford has one a good job. Vehicle is solid in many aspects and is a pleasure to drive. Great for long highway trips.

Too early to tell
By T. Malone

2018 Ford Expedition Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 10A)

When I started looking for a SUV my first stop was to a GMC dealer. I drove a Yukon and like it. Then I went to a Ford Dealer and looked at the updated Ford Expedition. It was heads and tails a better vehicle then the Yukon in all of the things I wanted in a vehicle. The only thing that the Yukon had that put it over the Ford is the solid V8 engine. I am not yet sold on the turbo 6 in the Expedition. I have decided to wait with my purchase until Ford gets the bugs are out of the new model. Be prepared for some sticker shock

Ford Got it Right!
By John

2018 Ford Expedition Platinum 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 10A)

I have driven Fords most of my life. I moved to Toyotas (Sequoia, very good vehicle) about 10 years ago and now I am back with the Expedition and love it. Ford's redesign hit a home run. Rides great, handles great and has the room I need for sons sports teams. Electronics are great also. My wife has driven Lexus (Great), BMW (never again) and now a Range Rover (fantastic vehicle). So far the 2018 Platinum Expedition is right there with the Lexus and Range Rover!