Used 2006 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Love this beast!
By GrungeGirl314

2006 Ford Expedition XLS 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned my '06 Expedition for 9 of its 10 living years. I purchased with 32K mi. now at 167k mi. (she runs smooth). Had the typical wear and tear repairs. I also am a very rough driver, and "Big Bertha" has kept up. The only major issue is the back lift gate paint that bubbles (doesn't rust due to it being aluminum). I've had it repainted, and will have to do it again, as I plan on keeping Bertha for at least another 4 years. This is a design flaw, and something any Expedition lover, like myself, needs to deal with to keep it looking fresh. There is plenty of room for the entire family and then some. I will definitely buy another Expedition when Bertha's time is up!

Great used ride!
By B. Murdock

2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Cherry King Ranch
By Happy So Far

2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Bought in July 15 with 83,500 miles. I've put 1250 miles on it. Nothing too bad to report. I figured with its age mpg would be a bit below the 14 city/18 highway mileage rating when new. City is right on. Highway it's doing a bit better, around 19.5 mpg. It's smoother and quieter on the highway than I thought it would be, even with the Firestone Destination AT's I put on to replace the Continental Contitrac TR's that it came with. All the electronics and bells and whistles work fine.

The only negative is that 2006 still suffers from paint bubbling on the front edge of the aluminum hood. I'm told this is from a bit of iron corrupting the metal and the paint pops. Doesn't really rust, the paint just bubbles. It may also happen on the lift gate. Not much to do about it but touch up here and there before taking in for a fix. I understand this may be common on early 2000's Expy's. As for me I can live with it. That's the only negative I found so far.

I'm expecting a few years of good service from the vehicle.

February 2016 Update. Things are still good after 5000 miles since purchase. City mileage has drifted down to around 13 mpg. Handled Mississippi river muddy bottom land just fine during duck season. Wonderful, safe, and comfortable on road trip to Green Bay from St. Louis for Packers game. No hydroplaning in the rain with the Firestone Destination AT's. Did notice that highway mpg is about 22 at 55 mph, 19.5 at 70 mph.

Endless Money Pit Do Not Buy
By mustangep

2006 Ford Expedition Limited 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Truck is in the shop more than on the road. Every month presents a different problem with the 2006 Expedition Limited. Last four months I replaced alternator went, coils, hub assembly left side, hub assembly right side, air conditioner compressor, steering wheel shaft and on and on. Will never purchase a Ford SUV again go Chevy.

Looks, visibility

Build a vehicle that is not designed to fall apart when factory warranty is up.

Don't buy
By DON'T BUY

2006 Ford Expedition Limited 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is the worse SUV I have owned, I have to replace a coil every 2-3 months, it stalls sometime when driving. The factory spark plugs breaks off in the head of the motor, costing $300 to $2500 to replace, you have to remove the motor head, sometime the motor to remove the broken plug. Ford should have recalled the cars, trucks, and suvs thats having these problems.

Looks great