Used 2005 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

2005 Eddie Bauer
By rs

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Great improvement over previous '99 Eddie Bauer owned. Ride is a bit stiffer, but feels like a sportier drive. Handling and turning radius is excellent for a vehicle of this size. The new 5.4 3V is much torquier than the old engines and can pull a moderate hill at 1200 RPM without downshifts. Mileage is not bad on the highway; we get 19-20 mpg on trips if we keep at 70 or below. Tows our 23' boat/trailer at 7,000 lbs. with ease getting about 12-14 mpg highway. Other than a window rattle which the dealer fixed with a new weather strip, no problems, and very reliable so far at 15k. Great truck!

Independent rear suspension, DVD, power fold /flat rear seats, engine torque, backup sensors, individual and rear climate control.

Suspension could be a bit more forgiving (adjustable would be nice!). Interior door arm rests were nicer, more comfortable on older models.

Expedition is a Lemon
By Expedition a Lemon

2005 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I loved this car the first four months I owned it. Then it started having nothing but problems. I have not driven it in two months and it is only five months old! Size and design is great but reliability is awful. I do love the bench in the front to seat nine. It makes the driver and passenger seats larger and more comfortable for long trips. Rear seat is also large and can actually seat adults. Inside looks so much more updated than the Suburban models. Flat fold seat is great -- and I did not get the power option. Seats flip down easily. My children can do it. Turning radius is great for such a large car, much better than my smaller Durango. Just be careful you don't buy a lemon.

Size and height of the car. Great visibility. I love the large mirrors, just wish they would power fold.

A little more trunk length on the car -- even six or seven inches would accommodate more groceries, etc. Seat belt clips are slight arched, makes it very hard to shut seatbelts with car seats and booster seats. Round vent openings look silly.

2005 Eddie Bauer
By jimnix

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Quiet ride on the highway, Actual mileage 13-14 MPG city and 17-19 MPG highway driving. Very happy with ride, performance and comfort but did have to take truck back in for repair. Back passenger door had a popping sound when opened. The cause was from the factory missing some spotwelds on door post. Door no longer makes popping sound. Very satisfied with purchase of 2005 EB Expedition.

Room with a view
By RobbB

2005 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Our family is getting bigger; we needed the off-roading capability, we needed the hauling space. The Expedition has answered all our requirements, and given extra options to boot. It looks good, it rides like no other. It's big, bold.

The powered gas and brake peddle adjustment for my short legged wife!

Little expensive to drive, but it's a big truck, and if you can afford to buy it, you can afford to put gas in it.

Best SUV that I have owned
By PJN

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Traded in my '03 Expy with 4.6L for the 5.4L and man, what a difference in power. I am pulling a 2006 23' Weekend Warrior FS23 which weighs about 7600 lbs loaded and it does great. I pull the grades at 55-65 with no problem. It sure is nice to be able to pull my toy box with an SUV rather than a truck.

Air conditioned/heated seats, rear fold down seats, DVD entertainment system, ride quality.

Reverse auto turn down mirror option, towing mirrors, dimming side view mirrors.