Used 2005 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Backup sensor quit working
By Mary

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Ford dealer cannot figure out why the backup sensor quit working. Started after we hooked up our travel trailer. No one can fix this. Had a few close calls and want it fixed!

Sorry It's Gone
By Justice Gustine

2005 Ford Expedition XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Just turned in ole' Blue to the lease return. It was my 2nd Expi and a big improvement from the 2000 with independent rear suspension that gave it sure footed handling and 4 wheel disc brakes that stopped better. Very powerful and never disappointed me when fast acceleration was needed. Never broke down. All I did was change the oil and pay attention to warning lights. The family is leaving the nest now and there is no longer a need for a spacious SUV. Blue was an XLT Sport 2wd, that gave it some two tone trim, tubular running boards, fog lights, limited slip, stiffer roll bar and a few other highlights. Will always remember the big comfortable ride.

Safety items! The back-up sensors, cabin mirror, side curtain airbags, tire pressure warning lights. 5 Disc CD never jammed or skipped. Cloth seats were very firm, unlike the living room couch feel of a friends Avalanche. Power adjustable brake & gas pedals. Sharp appearance.

Must have been too early for an iPod line in on the CD deck. A way to keep brake dust off the alloy wheels so they are not hard to clean.

A look good Lemon$$$
By Pete

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Our XLT 5.3L 4WD was a lemon from the second we drove it off the lot. This is fully loaded with all the bells and whistles to include 22" rims. We paid almost $60K for this dream car. Been to shop more times than I can count in last 5 years for every imaginable problem. The car was a lemon from Day 1 and although I suspected it many times, I was no absolutely sure until today when transmission went out at 84,000 miles. Engine was replaced at 82,000 miles ($6K). numerous electrical issues, poor gas milage at 8-10MPG for 1st 82,000miles due to engine issues (I always assumed it was the oversized tires until my MPG jumped to 15-17 after new engine installed.) Ford has done nothing to help us.

Comfortable SUV that seats 7+. My wife looks great...white/gold trim compliment her blond hair nicely when driving. She loves the car for its looks and size.

Dependability, performance, and Quality is poor. We were the unlucky suckers who paid top$ for nicest car on lot and got the lemon. I hope your luck is better if you buy one of these.

Proving me wrong..
By CJ

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my expedition a little over a year ago. It had 48k miles on it and was three years old. I had never owned a ford before and was unsure as to how it would last; i had always heard unsettling things about fords. A little over a year and close to 28k miles that i've put on the odo, i can say happily that i love my SUV. Im not easy on vehicles, i love to offroad even if the vehicle isn't desinged for it. My expedition has taken all my beatings and adventures with my family with pride and is running strong. so far the only problem is the rear HVAC system that has begun to knock and not work as intended but i still have a warranty on it.

adequate engine output; loads of room for 8 adults; strong build; smooth ride for large SUV; Rear park assist; easy to park

less plastic through-out interior; at least 345bhp; locking front and center differential; improved ground clearance; throatier exhaust note from V8

Replace Engine 66,8000 miles
By Spencer

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Bought Expedition in 12/04. Had a number of problems with rough engine noise, power seats stopped working etc. At 66,800 mile a valve broke off and dropped in to the cylinder. We only put about 12,000 miles a year on engine. Called Ford to see if they would work out something with me but was denied. I have to pay $7400.00 to replace my engine.