Used 2003 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews - 305 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Expedition SUV

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Great truck
By rudi

2003 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is a great truck. The only problem we've ever had with it was after 2 years we had to replace the alternator, and a few months ago we put a bad tank of gas in it and it ran badly, but once we got fresh gas, it runs great. Pretty peppy, even with the 4.6l v8.4wd works great. Tires stunk, replaced with Michelin xlt. Interior is nice, and roomy. Got a nice ford 9.75" rear axle and a ford 8.8 in the front sweet. Could use a cv joint in the rear driveshaft instead of the u-joint, but no biggie. Can handle mild off roading pretty well. Just hit 44,000 miles, still running great. Towing is fantastic.

Good engine peppy. Center console. Comfortable. Lots of room.

Better gas mileage, (13 city/17hwy

The most reliable Ford I've ever owned!
By Marz

2003 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Value 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have never been a big fan of domestic vehicles due to previous problems. I have a 2003 Ford Expedition with FX4 package, 5.4L V8, captain chairs in the middle, 3rd row seating, skid plates and tube bars all factory parts. I currently have 120,000+ miles on this vehicle and never, not even once have I had any repairs done on this truck. It has truly been rock solid since the day that I bought it. My only complaint is the fuel economy but its expected. I have a large family so needed something this size. But all in all, this has been my fav SUV and wouldn't trade it for anything.

5.4L V8, leather interior, middle row captain seating, adv track 4x4 and stability controls.

Better transmission. It's at 120K miles now and the tranny is starting to slip. Looking back at the notes the previous owner had the same trouble when he bought it brand new. Refine the 5.4L V8 just a little more towards economy.

2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition
By otterbout

2003 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Driving and owning this 6th E.B. model in a 4-wheeler is no disappointment. My husband has the 5.4 in his Lightning and happy to say I can still see his tail lights when we leave a stop light. Don't do it often but nice to feel the supreme power and handling in a really big truck. The interior appointments include nav, DVD, htd seats and awesome sound. Greenhouse is supreme except for blind spot at A & B pillars. Easy to miss objects while backing up so like rear sensing device. Overall, Ford has done a 100 on this vehicle when it comes to design and features. General tires awful. Replaced with Goodyear Forteras for outstanding performance, handling and traction. Will get another.

Heated, cooled sts, power fold 3rd row, cup holders everywhere. Great looks, keyless entry, auto fade radio, huge interior useable storage, tight trning radius, awesome acceleration, quiet engine above impact zone for safety and all E.B. extras.

A & B pillar visibility. Towing mirrors shld be std. Better tires and fuel performance though 16 city is okay 18 hgwy shld be better. Seats cracked so better quality leather and floor mats. More efcnt air induction sys. Wish Ford made insert for flush floor storage with 2nd row cptn's chairs.

It's a keeper
By DMILLS76

2003 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Value Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

So far (knock on wood) this truck has been fantastic. Gas mileage is horrendous at 14/18, but everything else is superb. Interior is extremely spacious, towing is excellent. I love this SUV.

Interior, towing.

More power for the 4.6 l engine. I've seen the Mustang with 300 hp out of this engine, why not the bigger vehicle?

We love the Big Cat
By newEra

2003 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased our Eddie Bauer in June of 2005 with only 14k miles on it. We dubbed it the "Big Cat" and we always "take the cat" when we go in it. After purchase, we took off from Ohio to Yellowstone with a family of 5 (3 teens - one of them 6'3 185) Very comfortable. Now we have 80k+. Only minor things. I bought the 100k warranty. Ready to use it for 2nd time. 18+ mpg on trips - 15+ mpg around home (hilly countryside). I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Watch the Contenential tires - plys go bad. Choose tires wisely. I bought more aggressive ones this time and cost me over 1 mpg.

Memory adjustment on seats. Room - power (5.4 L has lots of grunt)

Front windows roll up too slow - rear are much faster. All I've seen seem to be this way.