Used 2002 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Done
By RB

2002 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Gas has gotten too expensive for this truck. Also parking it in most lots is a challenge.

Great in the snow, even better than my Grand Cherokee

Gas mileage.

Great - Beware of poor $2300 Engine Problems!
By Blefort

2002 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Former Explorer owner, upgraded to Expedition. Very good ride; design, comfort, size. Mediocre/expected gas mileage. However, after 40K, the right cylinder head cracked, and began leaking oil. Repair of $2300 out of pocket was followed up with complaints. Initially Ford repair shop indicated rebate of $1500, but after several weeks, their "mistake" was corrected to $700 rebate. BAD taste in mouth for Ford's quality, as more investigation indicates that this is a "known Issue" with the Triton V8's from this period. Don't know if it's been fixed or not, but any time you have major repairs before 50K, beware!

Perfect size for the "big" needs of a travelling family with dogs. Great ride. Great look. Nice features.

Fix the quality problems with the engine. Stick behind product. Improve seat heaters (driver side) longevity.

Happy Expedition Owner
By CRExpedition

2002 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

First SUV that I have owed and it has been a great experience. Basically the only problem that I have encountered was the rear windows squeeking when opening; they replaced the mechanisms (both windows) and the same thing happened. This occurs mainly during the winter months. Driver's window has a tendency to go up very fast during cold days. Also noticed a hummng noise in tranny when overdrive is turned off; dealer says that this is not a problem and I have not had any tranny issue. I do not have the load leveling and my SUV runs pretty smooth, great on long trips, and comfortable. Get about 18-19 on highway, powerful motor (5.4), sometimes don't realize the speed I'm going, good pickup for a big SUV. Love her!

Comfortable seating, automatic climate control, speed volume control & programmable seating for two.

Better gas mileage, adjustable passenger seating & rear view mirror to also be included in programmable seating.

First SUV owned
By NICE SUV by db

2002 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is the largest vehicle I have owned and my wife and I really love it! Before purchasing it, I read reviews like these and with Ford truck's word- of-mouth reputation, I purchased one. I haven't regretted it. I use it mostly on long trips. It is fun to drive and I feel safer on the road. Mine is a 2-wheel drive, but it handles great in rain or snow covered roads. Replaced the drivers heated seat element already and the passenger side is getting weaker. $600. dealer cost for one seat repair! Out of warranty, but the dealer paid half. Replaced the brakes, but no mechanical problems yet. Would buy another one!

All the Eddie Bauer accents, the great "red" color, its driveability. Its large size is great in traffic. Heated seats help my wife's back problems, which she uses year round. Great AC, brakes & power steering. TV screen in rear is great for traveling passengers. Mirror turn signals.

Even before I bought it, I knew gas mileage would not be good. It isn't. But the trade-off is worth it. Wish I had the '03 folding third seat. Interior dash fit could be better. Radio controls not on the steering wheel are missed. I think the newer models address any shortcomings.

Love it!!!!
By miozzi

2002 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love the way this vehicle looks,
feels and drives. For an 8 passenger
vehicle we expect to have to pay more
in gas, but it's worth it, even the
kids love it. it's huge, i feel
totally safe in this vehicle, and for
some reason driving it, comes
naturally. AWESOME!!!!

cd player, largess, and power everything.

more manual options,i'm a paronoid type of person, what if i get stuck in water and all of the power options short circuit!!!!!!