Used 2001 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Eleven Years Old and Going Strong!!
By robintexas

2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Eddie Bauer 4x4 Expedition brand new in 2001 and have owned it since. I have driven it almost every day in the past eleven years and I keep it regularly serviced. It's paid me back in spades -- I have 287,000 miles on it and it's going strong! I keep telling the local Ford dealership, they should feature this beast in a commercial. It looks like new inside and the only signs of age on the outside is the fact that the bright red paint is a bit faded on the body, but actually a "pink" color on the mirrors. Original gas engine is strong. Still pulling horse trailers and piling the miles on. This truck has been so trustworthy. When she needs a new engine, I'll be there! :)

Durability. Long life. This truck wasn't cheap when I bought her ($43K+) but my dollar per mile has been a bargain. Who else can write a rave review about how much they love a vehicle when she's over a decade old. Only money I've put into her is oil changes, tires, and one front end adjustment. Still running on the original spark plugs and brakes, believe it or not. They keep telling me they're still fine. The guys at the Ford shop are always amazed, and have dubbed her "old red." :)

The height of the 4x4 makes it just tippy enough that the side by side torque, over the miles, prematurely wears tires out (yep, the front end is aligned and okay, per the Ford Shop). They said they have seen this in the taller trucks -- the edges of the tires wear faster than they do on the lower 2x2 trucks.

Joy, Pleasure,Work,Vacation,Towing,Kids
By 01fordeb

2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

190,000 miles and still rolling. Maybe $1000 worth of repairs since new. A great ride. Would definitely by another but not until this one has seen it's day.

Change to coils and shocks, It rides better and one less expense.

Best SUV I`ve ever owned!
By BEST SUV EVER OWNED!

2001 Ford Expedition XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new with 15 miles on it.Ever since I bought this car I have loved it! Its very roomy and comfortable. My family and I are always taking trips from Arizona to California and not once it has broken down. There have been no major mechanical issues. Today I have 210K miles on it and still runs great! I recommended this car to everyone!

Nice Cold Air Conditioning, 3rd row seat, leather interior and reliability.

Gas Mileage!

Refined Workhorse
By CG

2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our Expedition new in 01 and have been very pleased with the reliability and comfort of this vehicle. It now has 140k and still rides very smooth and feels wonderful. It has been very reliable with regular maintenance performed. My wife has abused this car with three kids and "Eddie" (nickname my kids gave it) has responded with remarkable resiliency. A real feather in ford's cap. I will be buying the 01-03 F150 with the same engine (5.4 liter Triton V8) in a few years after I retire. Eddie has been an extremely reliable vehicle who acts like he wants to run another 100k easy. I will be giving him a tune up soon replacing all the plugs and wires. Well deserved!

Reliability, comfort, build quality

Reliability of air suspension system. I will be replacing with springs later this year, the air pump is almost shot for the air suspension system and the leveler.

Unbelievable!!!
By rb

2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV new in Feb 01. It has nearly 200,000 miles and has been nearly flawless. Replaced 2 coils and a cruise control switch which came to a few hundrerd bucks. Otherwise, just standard maintenance. It rides super smooth, has great handling and acceleration,(4.6L) and has nice features throughout. I never dreamed this truck would last this long without major repairs. Ford got this one right!

Smooth ride, good acceleration, handles and corners like a car. Comfortable seating, wide deep console, and more room inside this vehicle than you could ever imagine. Keyless entry is great and adjustable pedals and seat memory function come in handy also.

I wish it did not have autolocking doors.