Used 2000 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 125 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

found on road dead
By kbajza

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

I bought this car new, and a year into owning it, the 5 disk cd player broke, and wasnt covered under the warrenty. After six years, one of the coils had to be replaced, and 6 months later, another one had to be replaced. both times the repair bill was over $500. 6 months later an O ring had to be replaced and because they had to remove the gas tank to figure that out, the bill was about $600 (the o ring literally cost 25 bucks). Just last year, the transmission blew. Thankfully my mechanic felt like being creative and replaced the solenoid pack and that worked but again, over $500 in repairs. All in all, I've spent over 4000 replacing and repairing. Not worth buying.

Its a shame this car was such a dud because the power and performance was amazing. The reason I held on to it for so long was because it was simply amazing to drive. Could make u turns better then some of my friends cars!!! The inside is extremely comfortable and the sound system was awsome.

Better electonic wiring, better engine. I took exelent care of this car and it broke down more then it should have for its age and milage. Every repair was over $500.00 easily.

Good truck
By Rideflytx

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

We bought this over the GM alternatives because of the interior design. Overall a good truck and reliable transportation. Transmission lost third gear around 120,000 miles and had it rebuilt. Other than that, no other mechanical issues. Interior cup holder in dash got stuck, some sort of grease leaked out from under the center console and stained the carpet. Otherwise solid truck. Would buy again - selling now to move to smaller car since we are out of infant seats.

Keyless entry keypad on drivers door. Can lock keys in car and use keypad to get back into locked vehicle. Nice feature for running, cycling where you don't want to carry keys. Obviously do this at your own risk.

Less body roll in corners. More durable cup holder in dash.

Awesome car
By pmd

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

I have had this car for 8 years and it's gone about 243,000. I have only had two minor repairs, an alternatior and a thermostat, less than $500. Anything else was normal, like tires, brake pads and oil changes. I thought I should sell it 2 years ago but kept it and am so glad I did. It just keeps on going. My locks don't respond properly and the drinkholder broke but the car moves with no problem and has not let me down.

The room. Third row seat for the dog, very back for the groceries and the rest for me and the kids. Fits tons of stuff on vacations.

Better door locks and drinkholders. I also had trouble with the second row middle seat belt not working and had to buy a new seat belt.

Love my truck!
By Sam

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this truck new off the lot. (Gas was much cheaper 8 years ago!) We opted not to buy the extended warranty and have not had any major problems within the first 6 years of its life. However, with that being said, within the past 2 years, we have had to replace the sway bar, new brakes (twice), new front end calibers, new shocks, new emergency brake (prior mechanic cut it!), and just now - a new alternator.

Adjustable pedals! Lots and lots of room, with the 3rd seat removed and the 2nd layed out the rear of the truck is the size of a queen size bed - we used the truck for camping for kids to sleep in.

Running boards are slippery in winter. How about better gas mileage! Using this for in town driving back and forth to work sucks up the gas!

My Expy
By Bruce

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

It has been a great truck except for the transmission. We are on #3. All under warranty but, the last was the extended warranty. Look elsewhere if you tow a trailer. The gas of course if now a problem.

Comofort & it will climb a mountain.

Transmission & hybrid?