Used 2000 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 125 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

I LOVE(D) My Black Ex-Pee
By HazMatic

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I had a 2000 expedition for 3 years and would've still had it if a tree didn't murder it! In three years I just changed the fuel pump once. I experienced the cylinder misfire issue as well but it didn't effect the over- all performance. I loved the room, it's durable, and it's fun to drive in the snow. I'd definitely recommend this truck!

interior space, i was able to move myself into my new apt. with all the seats down and the 3rd row out.

N/A

A good SUV
By DS

2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

The Expedition is a great truck for traveling with the family. The gas mileage makes it an expensive daily commuter. The major problems I have had with this truck are blown spark plugs and the emergency brake. So far I have repaired three spark plugs and replaced three coil packs. Two in my driveway and one in the Appellation Mountains behind a parts store. All repairs where with the Helicoil save a thread kit 5334-14 and a little quick set hi temp lock tight. It takes about an hour for the repair and $40. So far I have about 30K to 40K on the repairs. The emergency brake repair parts are a dealer item only and are sold as a complete kit. The other problems where from normal wear and tear.

The interior, sound system, towing MPG is the same and normal running, its roomy, entry level off roading capabilities, easy to work on, and with the seats all the way forward you can haul a few 4 X 8 sheets of plywood.

Ford should pay for the blown out spark plug repair and the heated seat elements ($300) should last longer.

Still enjoying this 2000 Expedition
By Gumby

2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this 2000 Expedition new and now have 177K miles on it. All repairs have been wear related - alternator, upper & lower control arms (because ball joints are sealed and not replaceable separately), and the anti-lock control unit. I don't consider any of that major repair. (I had the original anti-lock control unit rebuilt, which was an inexpensive repair.) Of course we've done brakes, shocks, and plugs. This SUV rides and drives great and I will definitely miss it when I finally have to part with it. Only complaint is that it is under-braked, but I knew that when I bought it. You can run out of brake when towing in hot/high conditions - so beware when going downhill.

Ride, power (with the 5.4), room and reliability.

It needs larger brakes. Not sure if the newer version fixed that. Gas mileage is as expected in an SUV that big with a 5.4. We get around 14.5 mpg city/hwy even with 177K miles.

A review
By Fritz

2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

My Expedition is 9 years old, and I have started looking around for a replacement. What were 'high end' features in 2000 are less than base now in most SUVs of this class. When I purchased this one I was ticked at Ford over a maintenance issue, but the GMs felt too cheap. Now, the new Expeditions feel too cheap. In 9 years I have replaced the the alternator twice, the water pump, the load leveling suspension motor, and the sunroof motor.. The reviews in 2000 indicated the electrical systems are where this vehicle would have problems, and that has proven to be pretty accurate. Back to the replacement... I love my current truck and have decided to just keep driving it.

Solid build from the inside out.

Lost an engine at 100k miles
By W

2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Owned almost 9 yrs. except for the bottom end of the engine going out at 100k miles ($8k later) I love it. Use it for snow plow, pull 24' boat goes anywhere and has never let us down (except for the engine). Has original battery but new alternator. Lots of room and very comfortable. Handles well on wet, dry roads as wel as in ice and snow. I don't like all the cheap-looking plastic on the new Epeditions. Plus the prices are way too expensive. Get the gas mileage up to 22-25 mpg, keep the power and handling etc and I might buy another.

This SUV will do it all! Hauls anything. Pulls anything and is very comfortable. Lots of room too!

Better reliability in the engine and components. The Triton V8 is "kmown" to blow out spark plugs and burn up coils. The new engine at 100k miles cost me $8k and now I have to replace a coil in the #4 cylinder ($300). Get the gas mileage up in the 20's.