Used 2000 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Expedition SUV

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Not many fixes over 10 years
By mgarrett30

2000 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Got my '00 Expedition in '01 and have not been upset with it.
I have not had a payment on my SUV in over 5 years and have put very little money into it at this point.
My wife and I keep talking about needing a new suv and have balked each time that it comes down to it.
After not having a payment in 5 years and putting very little money into the truck, it is very difficult to justify the $550 for a new payment.
Each time the tires wear down I keep telling my self that it is going to die and why put the money into it.
Then winter comes and the tires outlast the car once again.
The one thing that I have had to replace at this point are the coils, 4@$200ea.
MPG are not good at 10-13 avg.

Maintenance has been next to nothing i have had before. Have put money into 4coils, 1 fuel pump a few sets of breaks (it is quite heavy)3-4 sets of tires. I could not have wished for a better maintenence record. The money that I have saved has gone into my sons college fund.

suggested break pads to cut down on the dust on the front wheels. Plusher interior. Greater trade in value.

11 Years and Still a Good Vehicle
By Vin Tanner

2000 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought new. All issues are normal wear and tear: control arms replaced @ 90,000 miles. 2 coils replaced in 10 years. Outside of that: Nothing! Change the oil regularly and drive responsibly and you get a good vehicle. Safety: superb. Mileage decent for big heavy SUV: 19 Hwy; Controls simple in old vehicle. Reliability: 5 star. Safety: 5 star Comfort: 4 star. I see these all around town, Ford did well with this SUV. Would buy again, would recommend. 4.6 L/ 4 speed. Thanks

New vehicles have these features. At the time the XLT was adequate. Perhaps having nothing fancy has kept maintenance costs low. Ford went to 5W- 20 synthetic blend oil and with this there is no oil use at all.

Happy Ford Owner
By Happy Ford Owner

2000 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my Expedition in 2001. I have had to replace the transmission, two coils, and wheel bearing, ball joints and some other stuff. Now at 138,00 miles and in the shop again. But for some reason I just can't let this truck go. I just bought a Mercedes ML350. But i couldn't trade in my Ford. I just Love It. It's been fixed up just for me and I can't let it go.

Roomy, interior design, comfortable on long trips and I have had many of those.

Gas mileage and maybe some wood grain interior.

10 good years
By Tuscaloosa Tom

2000 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought this XLT new and it has had only one maintenance issue, a short in the rear sonal wiring. Other than that is has been close to perfect as far as reliability. I do all routine maintenance as required and this may have helped. ground clearance good, power sufficient. Hwy mileage 18-20, city maybe 14. Great A/C and good engine cooling. Good NHTSA safety ratings.

1. Keyless keyboard entry 2. Backup sonar 3. 5 Star Safety Rating 4. Reliability

Memory seats would have helped 10 years ago.

I Love My Expo
By I am Happy With It

2000 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I am very pleased with my Expedition. I bought it 3 years ago and had to replace the transmission ounce at 150,000. It tows well and off roads well. nice ground clearance. Hauling 3 kids and a dog and some friends around, camping and taking trips is comfortable with the interior design. I do wonder about the electrical though, I have trouble withe the keyless entry and my dome lights no longer go on when I open the doors. Other then that a good family vehicle.

Ground clearance, comfort and reliability

Cup holders in the second row seat needs to be more durable. The electrical system could use improvement.