Used 1998 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Can't give it up!
By Carter

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I hesitated to write a review for fear of jinxing myself but my EXP has been a great truck. Bought new in late '97. Now has 112k on it. Other than routine maintenance and replacing a few seals here and there, nothing major has gone wrong. I love loading up the family in it, putting big dogs in the back and heading out on a road trip, confidently. The biggest improvement I made was to put Michelin LTXs on it. The stock Goodyears were junk. It's a totally different ride with the Michelins.

Size, reliability, comfort, stereo, looks. Best car I've ever had. Don't want to trade it ever.

Gas mileage. 13-14 mpg is tough to handle at the pumps. More hp. I don't like the fact that the truck has to downshift constantly on a hilly interstate. This shouldn't be an issue at 75 mph.

1998 EXPEDITION EDDIE BAUER SPORT
By BIG FAN

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Love this vehicle. Bought it almost 2 months ago and it has become our #1 car out of 3. I originally bought it for myself, but my husband has come to love it. It's now his. There's four in our family, and my husband sits in the driver's seat, I'm in the passenger, our son in the second row, and our daughter in the third row. It's a great car. I would surely buy another!

Leather interior: luxury feel, 6 CD changer.

Roomier third row: anyone over 3 feet will have to scrunch up to sit back here, but good for the kids.

4WD Towing machine
By Mitch

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Great vehicle for pulling my 2300 lb. boat and for hauling people around. We have gone all over America on trips in this. Always dependable. Good job on Ford's part, an excellent truck.

5.4L Triton V-8, Tow package, 4WD, 8 person capacity.

Durability of spark plugs.

Ford Expo owner
By jennifer

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Vehicle is very well built and dependable, have enjoyed owning it for 4 years and make no plans on selling it.

Comfort and reliability.

13 miles to gallon with these high gas prices; expensive to maintain. Only driven on weekends for pleasure.

Good Used SUVs
By Irish Red

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I like the quick pickup - smooth handling and the comfortable ride - for an SUV.

The leather seats wear and clean well. Sound system with CD changer is really nice. Third seat pops out easily and the 2nd folds down to carry a lot of stuff.

Third row seating is practical only for children or very small adults.