Used 1998 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Best ca I ever owned.
By Daniel from S.A. TX

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I got this Expedition with 83k on it, now it has almost 200k and I am looking forward to 300k. Really comfy; we have looked at newer cars and just can't trade it away. Great car.

I can't believe the turning radius on this thing, it's better than in cars half its size! The leather seats are so comfy, nice ride, and still looks great even thought it's nearly 9 years old.

1998 Expedition XLT
By millerford

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This suv is a great starter vehicle. This is the first vehicle I have ever purchased and being new to the driving world, being brought in with a 1998 Ford Expedition was the best way to enter. I have owned my Expo for a few months and it's been nothing but a joy. Even with the Triton 4.6 V-8 it still gets the job done and well I might add. I can haul all my friends around and not fret about their safety because this thing is so large. I have nothing but positive things to say about Ford and my truck. The only thing that doesn't work on my truck is the 6-disk CD changer due to a bad reader. Hmmm, this is a feature GM didn't offer back in '98; go figure, they're always behind on everything.

My favorite features would have to be the 6-disk CD changer, rear audio controls, over head console (storage outside temp. etc), steering wheel mounted cruise control (AWESOME FEATURE!) and plenty of power outlets. Oh and to all the people that want their rear audio turned off 3 and 5 on the radio.

My only suggestions (constructive criticism); bad idea to use the Explorer A/C and heating for rear passengers. Not a good idea for a vehicle its size; should always come with vents in the celling and not two little A/C vents on the back of the center console (above rear audio controls).

My Expedition
By Dave

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this vehicle for long term ownership and it has not disappointed. In 2005 we had to put about $1200 into some repairs, but that is about it for major repairs (the scheduled service at 60k was pretty expensive at about $700). Lots of room for 5 adults, never missed the way back seat.

With 17 inch wheels, this vehicle sits high enough for great visibility in traffic; feel pretty secure in this large vehicle, and feel great about the reliability.

Ford has used the same turn signal gear in an Aerostar as the Expedition. It fails in a peculiar way, but seems to right itself over time. Good thing, since it is very expensive. Child door locks in the rear lock themselves!

I'll Never Buy a Ford Again!
By Never by a Ford

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Pretty good vehicle until you get to about 75,000 miles, then it falls apart. Transmission, oil cooler hoses, axle seals, driver lock switch, rear driver's side door window assembly (fell apart inside door), windshield washer switch (sometimes it works, sometimes is doesn't), alternator.... (I wonder each day what will fail next). Gas mileage is terrible. I own a Suburban which is more powerful, refined, comfortable, and out tows the Ford hands down. Take my advice: If you want a domestic truck, buy a Chevy. If you want a reliable car, buy a Honda or Toyota. By the way, my Expedition is in the shop as I write this review!

Six-disk CD changer (one of the few things that hasn't failed, yet). Driving lights really provide great lighting. Adjustable, rugged roof rack.

Hey, Bill Ford, build a more reliable vehicle! Take your engineers, accountants, and assembly workers to Japan to see how a quality vehicle is produced!

Great car but don't buy!
By sla

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Loved this vehicle until electrical problems started that dealership had trouble fixing. Then we found out the hard way that Ford Expedition and trucks in '98 and '99 have major engine defects involving the cylinder heads. Now needs new engine. Ford won't acknowledge but it is common knowledge.

Pulled horse trailer well. Lots of room. Nice pick up. A/C, cup holder/etc, auto entry.

Replace engine with one defect-free. Have better information for mechanics to identify the many electrical problems -- back windshield wiper, front windshield wipers - separate problem, died completely when turned on radio, odometer that twirled around occasionally w/cruise control not working, etc.