Used 1998 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Expedition SUV

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

King of the pullers and hawlers
By Ken

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this vehicle (new) to replace a 91 Chevy Suburban (which started falling apart after 65K miles). Its primary mission was to pull a 4000# boat and haul kids and hockey gear. It has been a great vehicle. It has been an everyday driver for my wife and she likes the automatic all wheel and four wheel drive features in the winter. I love it when I have 2 adults, 5 big teenage boys on board, full fuel, bags and pulling a boat easily at 70mph. Of course I don't look at the fuel computer because it is really depressing. But it gets the job done easly.

Supprisingly this vehicle handles very well for a big SUV. Great suspension. Fit and finish,handling, pulling capability and comfort all are good. All creature comforts are ergonomically correct and the Bose sound system is fantasic. The engine transmission is smooth and the auto fwd works

Love for this to be a hybrid that could get 30+ MPG yet still pull. The 5.4 engine is strong and torquey but it sucks gas at 12mpg city and 16 highway. Problems to date have been an AC switch, windshield washer and rear wiper controls. Make the brakes bigger.

Great job
By niceandwild

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I bought my Expedition used with 32k. Just hit 100k. It has never failed me yet and given the fact that I am not the best at maintaining cars I love it. I have gone from Florida to New York several times and its great on long distance trips. Ford tough.

Solid truck, lots of seating room. Reliablity. Visibility. Comfort.

Rear window washer stopped working after buying truck. Fuel economy is 13 mpg.

I love my Expedition
By Miss Mary

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Expedition. It runs good, could have a little bit more power. It's a beautiful ride that I feel so safe in. It goes in the snow so great! It had high mileage when I bought it and at 148000 miles it is still going strong! I am the 2nd owner and the only thing I have had done to it is put new tires on it and a new alternator. But over all I would buy another Ford Expedition. My husband has been wanting me to trade my expedition in on another expedition or something else, and I say "No Way"! Buy a Ford Expedition you won't regret it, I promise.

Everything! I love how safe I feel in it. The model and design is beautiful. I like the looks of the older models, like my 98.

More engine power.

Spoiled by my Expedition...
By ladytrisha

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned several vehicles from fast, sporty cars such as a Firebird, a convertible Trans Am, and a convertible SS Camaro...down to an everyday grocery getter; you guessed it...the Ford Taurus. I've also owned a Ford F-350 Super Duty Diesel Lariat. I really loved that truck! I never thought I'd find another vehicle that I liked as well as our truck until I purchased my Expedition. I absolutely love it. It has that sporty look I love & all the room & comfort we could ask for. When we need the extra room in the back for hauling something large we just take out the third row seat. When our kids have friends over and we go somewhere we have plenty of room and seatbelts for everyone.

I love the sporty look. We use the third row seat a lot. I like the open roomy feel inside. I really like the bulky, stomper look that it has.

I think many features have been added for improvement in the newer models. The added DVD players for entertainment, digital temperature control, sunroofs, temperature & navigational display are complimentary and add to the appeal.

You get what you pay for
By Fairfax, VA

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Expedition with 60k miles and it's been reliable as sin. The only work done was on struts at 90k. 17" tires aren't cheap, and neither is gas at 13 mpg, but (if you ever studied physics) it's nice knowing that you have 2 1/2 tons of metal traveling at the same velocity and direction you are. Three kids, three dogs, and a lot of help moving friends stuff was no problem for this great SUV.

Well made, space, solid, space, reliable, did I mention space?

A built-in ladder for washing/waxing the roof. Air horns.