Used 1997 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Great Family hauler/workhorse
By LeeB

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We've owned this truck for 8 years now, bought it used, 2 years old. Two major problems, transmission replaced at 100K miles, replaced injection system on 4 ofthe 8 cylinders (one at a time of course - this is a common problem with this engine). Has otherwise been a good reliable family and stuff hauler. It's become expensive (gas) to use as an everyday commuter, but we'll keep it as a part-time haul around vehicle.

Space, nice high seating position, good torque/power, comfortable. The cabin can be made really cold even on an August day in Florida.

11 MPG at $3.10 adds up real fast.

Great 97 SUV
By Exp Fan

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought in 99 with 24k and now have 154k. great vehicle with only normal maintenance until replaced ball joints recently. Great comfort and tons of space. Use as a small pickup sometimes when I need to haul something. Paint on roof though not visible from the ground has deteriorated but the rest of the paint is good especially for spending 4 years in Buffalo winters and the rest in WV.

Size, comfort and 15 mpg good for a large SUV. 4.6L OK but probably would not be a good for towing

Tougher leather seats. 17" wheels std. Have 16 and 17 looks much better.

Great
By Family

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased my suv in 2003. Love it! I have only had one major problem with it when I blew the spark plug out of the head (kind of costly) but well worth it. Having a big family I will stick with my Expedition for as long as I can.. even with high gas prices it is still a very safe suv for my children.

Love the room and the way it handles in all weather conditions..

Make third row more accessible and a little more room behind third row.

Great truck!
By misskayla

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my truck. It's a smooth ride, comfortable/roomy. I brought it in 2004 and it came without a CD changer, but I installed one in there. Could do better on gas. Considering I drive state to state, it's approching 135,000 miles and I never had a problem with it beside changing my oil and I did replace the alternator a year ago.

Size

Better gas mileage

I enjoy my Expedition
By Bob

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Getting this out of the way, yes, the gas mileage is terrible. Everything else about the Expedition I love. It's great on the highway filled with kids and luggage. Very comfortable ride and plenty of room. I also enjoy riding high up it gives you better visibility of the road.

Comfortable roomy interior

Designing an engine that has power plus better gas mileage.