Used 1997 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Great 97 SUV
By Exp Fan

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought in 99 with 24k and now have 154k. great vehicle with only normal maintenance until replaced ball joints recently. Great comfort and tons of space. Use as a small pickup sometimes when I need to haul something. Paint on roof though not visible from the ground has deteriorated but the rest of the paint is good especially for spending 4 years in Buffalo winters and the rest in WV.

Size, comfort and 15 mpg good for a large SUV. 4.6L OK but probably would not be a good for towing

Tougher leather seats. 17" wheels std. Have 16 and 17 looks much better.

Great
By Family

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased my suv in 2003. Love it! I have only had one major problem with it when I blew the spark plug out of the head (kind of costly) but well worth it. Having a big family I will stick with my Expedition for as long as I can.. even with high gas prices it is still a very safe suv for my children.

Love the room and the way it handles in all weather conditions..

Make third row more accessible and a little more room behind third row.

Great truck!
By misskayla

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my truck. It's a smooth ride, comfortable/roomy. I brought it in 2004 and it came without a CD changer, but I installed one in there. Could do better on gas. Considering I drive state to state, it's approching 135,000 miles and I never had a problem with it beside changing my oil and I did replace the alternator a year ago.

Size

Better gas mileage

I enjoy my Expedition
By Bob

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Getting this out of the way, yes, the gas mileage is terrible. Everything else about the Expedition I love. It's great on the highway filled with kids and luggage. Very comfortable ride and plenty of room. I also enjoy riding high up it gives you better visibility of the road.

Comfortable roomy interior

Designing an engine that has power plus better gas mileage.

Good Truck
By Bruce

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

Bought the Expedition new in 1996, just after they came out; no major problems, but several recalls. The two problems I had included an engine oil leak, but Ford covered 75% of the repair; it seems there is a problem with the early 5.4L. There is a service bulletin on this. The other problem was the 4WD quit. A vacuum line had hit the manifold and melted, an easy fix once found. I have averaged 14.4 MPG so far, I record ever fill, so this is an accurate number. This includes a lot of trailer towing. Overall this has been a great vehicle.

Great vehicle for over the road drives well and lots of room, handles trailers very well. Also works good in snow and off-road.

Trim pieces on the exterior around windows oxidize and don't clean up. Would like to be able to get a manual tranny.