Used 2001 Ford Excursion Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Excursion

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

The Best By Far!
By mike

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

We're a growing family family of 5. We wanted safety, plenty of space, towing capabilities, and a touch of luxury. We love our 2001 7.3 turbo diesel Limited Edition. We have peace of mind knowing that our family would be well protected in an accident. The excursion is very roomy and accommodates our family well, including our Great Dane. Towing a 16'x7.5' enclosed trailer with ATV's inside is no problem for this SUV. It rides and drives great! The turbo makes it respond quick and not sluggish. We'd highly recommend the turbo diesel. We get about 17-18 mpg around town and about 22 mpg on the interstate. Finally, the tow package, back up sensors, and leather interior beats our old Tahoe hands down.

My wife is 5'3" and loves the back up sensors, which don't come standard on a Chevy truck. She likes knowing that even with her looking back she has the added protection of the sensors to warn her of something unexpected. Sensors were an absolute must for us and should be for you especially with kids.

Only one small issue. We don't care much for the spare tire placement. It's inside the rear storage space (the trunk area) behind the third seat and takes up a fair amount of space. Granted, the vehicle is huge and this issue hasn't been a problem for us, we just don't care for it much.

200 Excursion is a disappointing vehicle
By BJMittelstaedt

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I had to replace the transmission at 90,000 miles, went to Ford for some help paying for it and they could not have cared less, I have replaced the brakes several times and none of the door locks work, I will not purchase another Ford SUV, have heard better things about GM standing behind their products. Ford Customer Service is rude and difficult to work with.

I really was excited when I purchased the truck and it is really fun to drive, unfortunately after reading the website with all of the problems and most of them I am experiencing with my truck, I am really disappointed with the quality of this vehicle.

Try listening to your customers and if you can't build a vehicle that can at least make it to 100,000 you should really charge less. Performance this has been a very disappointing truck and I bought it with 6 miles on it.

A member of our family
By John A.

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

After 4 1/2 years our family still loves our "Monster Truck". At 45,000 she still looks like new and runs even better. "Anytime, anywhere or anything" is her motto! We keep her 100% Ford including all servicing. Mileage with the V10 has improved over time averaging 11.5 city and 16 highway (light foot). Minor repairs included replacing the suspension bumpers (we do not off-road), turning the front rotors and a new set of Michelin's. Large mirrors and reverse sensors are a must. Living in Miami makes a sport of parking but sitting high above traffic gives you the added security. Our family keeps cars on average 10 years. We'll let you know how she is doing in another 4 1/2 years.

Room, power and versatility are her hallmarks, with good styling and a knack for accommodation.

Front rotors, better fit and finish with higher quality materials.

reliability not good, breaks down
By toni

2001 Ford Excursion XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle used, with 63,000 miles on it. So far the engine blew, the torque converter was causing engine fires and the brakes have been redone 4 times because nobody can get them done right, the springs are bad on one side. Seems to me that this truck is holding up worse than my 97 Dodge Caravan that had 160,000 miles on it or my 94 Suburban with 240,000 miles on it!

Size of the vehicle and the automated seats in the front, fold down middle seat for access to third row seating.

Three rear doors, the two on the bottom with the window over it are a pain, not worth the bother.

I love it!
By gersfeld

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

We recently bought a 2001 7.3 Ltr Diesel 4x4 and I love it! It is in terrific shape for being a used vehicle and being a diesel it already gets superior gas mileage compared to my Ford Aerostar. It drives like a luxury car but has the strength and performance of a truck. It feels solid and reliable when I drive it. I hope I have it for a long time to come because I love it!

The room inside and the leather seats.