Used 2003 Ford Escort Coupe Consumer Reviews

Used Escort for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...12

Pros
Cons

Domestic Sleeper

Kenniff, 04/05/2010
ZX2 Premium 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's always fun watching imports pull up, and not only find out they are slower, but don't get better mpg. I can fit 3 people and luggage for a week in it and still get 35 mpg hwy. New fascia reduces cute factor, and increases enthusiast curiosity. Have aftermarket tires, rims, muffler, air intake, etc. and I never think its a rocket, nor can I hear it 3 towns away. Sure, larger people will want to avoid driving, but were not all lineman here! Although the car was well worth the 11 large, kind of wish I didn't have to install an armrest. Nonetheless, this car has more range than one might expect, as I can drive from Tampa to Miami, and still drive around the city; Fords the best US maker

practical sports car

crash86, 11/17/2004
ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i purchased this car for $6500 with around 23000 miles, 5speed, the whole package. accelerates and turns very well. a lil rough but it's a small car so no surprise there.

Approaching 100k and Near End of Life

Paul Gyergyek, 08/13/2015
ZX2 Deluxe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in Dec 2011 (w/ only 72.8k miles on it) for my son in college. Almost 4 years and 25.5k miles later, I learned a valuable lesson in used-car buying: a older, low-mileage car is not always a good deal. It cost a ton to maintain this car - I think I've replaced everything once, some things twice (front brakes, portions of exhaust system). The upstate NY winters (no car washing = lots of rust damage) & rough roads have aged this car tremendously. However, lots of items that shouldn't have failed, did - CD player (it won't play ANY CDs), speedo, odometer, blower motor resistor. My son's hard driving, especially on some bad country roads, and not taking good care of it was a major contributing factor to its rapid decline. However, honestly, I think the previous owner simply sold this car at the right time. Best Features: The gas mileage is fantastic! 32-36 MPG on most of my trips. I own an '07 Mustang GT, and this car, though it doesn't compare, is still fun to drive. Even though the '03 Foci I owned were better-built and performing cars, I prefer the ZX2 styling. Pretty roomy for me, a 250 lb guy. Stereo system sounds OK, for a lower-end vehicle. My son didn't care for A/C (which is good, 'cause it broke in 2014), but he loved driving with the moonroof wide open. Worst Features: Auto tranny downshifts very hard & violently into 1st gear when you stomp on the gas - but the car does move fairly quickly. In the northern rust belt, this car abhors water (and the damage it does) more than the Wicked Witch of the West. Definitely needs a driver's arm rest. I highly recommend snow tires for winter driving - it's snow/ice traction is poor. Update: Took the vehicle to the auto graveyard day after Thanksgiving 2015, with just under 100k on it. The tranny was leaking oil when driven in Reverse, and it just wasn't worth fixing. RIP.

Awesome little car

Jackie, 07/07/2009
ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car when it had 14,000 mi. It now has over 100,000. Now a friend was driving it and has wrecked it, was so upset. I never had to change or repair a single thing on the car except a set of tires. Not once did it ever break down. Only complaint is the idling, which is normal for these cars.

A great little car

mark_s3, 04/30/2011
ZX2 Deluxe 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new (13 miles) and drove it 143,000+ miles. I love this car. Got standard transmision that makes it even more fun to drive. Vibrations from the motor can be rough in idle, but it's not too bad. Gets 34 MPG in stop and go traffic. Very comfortable inside and sporty outside. Never had a machanical problem with it, and it's been very dependable. The ride is very smooth even after all those miles. Plan to drive it until the wheels fall off! It is MY car! **Sorry for any misspellings**

12345...12