Used 2002 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Our little 02 Escort
By claude

2002 Ford Escort Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the Escort with 62000 miles, drives great, does idle a little rough, but understand that is it nature. Oil is and diy chore, as is changing spark plugs. Car did start to misfire at 92,000 being a diy'er I investigated the problem and was a simple, spark plug and wires. The front disk brakes are the easiest I have ever changed, but cannot get the real brake drums off, will have to investigate further. Over all very good little car, gas mileage super, really luging in steep grade country, it gets at least 25 mpg, the average is 33 to 35. The best I have gotten several times on the flat freeways is 48 mpg. Overall really satisfied with the 02.

Easy handling, gas mileage

Correct rough idling

Jacque Le Bleu
By amy

2002 Ford Escort Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Graduation car- 2002 4-door sedan, gets 34 mpg, better than Mom's 2001 ZX2 Escort at 32 mpg and dad's 2001 ZX3 Focus bubble at 30 mpg. Medium pickup speed, but not quite as good as dad's ZX3, and no match at all to mom's Escort ZX2. Really fun car, but only had a stupid cassette, where I needed a cd player. Great starting in the winter and handled well. We are each hoping to eventually replace all of these cars with new Ford Escorts (we don't like the Focus with trash gray seats) and we like the better fuel economy and better pickup than the Focus. We sure hope tan or color- coordinated interiors are available soon.

Tan interior, excellent mileage, fun to drive, good visibility

Needs CD player or Ipod plug-in, need to start making these Escorts again.

Excellent ZX2
By didi4349

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car far exceeded expectations. No mechanical problems, has all the bells & whistles-moon roof, etc. I have gotten over 40 mpg on trips. The only problem with Fords is the cars develop a rattle that Toyotas do not have. I love this car, fun to drive and handles well.

Great on gas and fun to drive.

Rattle in the dash.

Home Run for Ford
By Josh

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 02 in 2006 with 17000 miles on it for $4500; it's loaded with every option. Now there are 58000 miles on it with nothing other than oil changes. This car can't be beat for the price, performance, and reliability. The lowest mileage I have ever had was 29 and that was in Houston traffic. On the highway 37-40 isn't unusual. Hands down, this is one of the most reliable models Ford has produced. There have been no recalls, yet Ford never really marketed this car at all. If you get the chance at least take it for a test drive. I never thought that I would end up in a four cylinder coupe - I was driving a 79 Bonneville - but I really love my car.

This is my first car that has had every option available, I love the leather seats, the moonroof, the manual tranny, and the CD player.

Fix the windows, every time it rains, even a little bit, the water runs inside. Other than that I have no problems.

Not bad
By Mike

2002 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Looking back, I probably should have bought a Civic or Corolla, but this car has been good basic transportation. As long as you keep up the maintenance, it is a very reliable car. I've had to replace a wheel bearing, but other than that, just basics like tires, filters, etc. Still gets great gas mileage (25-30) and drives smooth. Complaints: Noisy, no armrest, and totally unacceptable amounts of vibration when the car is in Drive and idling. It doesn't vibrate any other time, but at a stop light the thing feels like its about to come unhinged. I guess I didn't notice it during the test drive. Quality fuel, and on time fuel filter changes keep it to a minimum. Overall - Fair.

Gas mileage, nice styling, and roomy for a small car. Reliable.

Well, they've discontinued the car so I suppose suggesting improvements is moot, but the above complaints are pretty much it. Resale value is garbage.