Used 2001 Ford Escort Coupe Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Escort Coupe

ZX2 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (51 reviews )

a good car except for awful vibration
By Dave S.

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is not a comfortable car, especially not for a mature adult man. For what I paid for this car, one could expect tilt steering, cruise control, and power seats. My ZX2 has none of those features. (I bought the car for my wife in a hurry and have regretted the hasty decision ever since.) The 2001 ZX2 has a SERIOUS VIBRATION problem. The word "vibration" does not even begin to describe the shaking and rattling experienced while seated in the car. Evidently the problem is that the engine runs very roughly at idle speed, which is what happens when the car is stopped but in gear. I would not recommend this car to anyone who cares about comfort. It might be a good 1st car for a teen.

The card handles well on the road and has been generally reliable, despite the annoying vibration.

Fix the vibration!

Great First Car - inexpensive to own
By Ryan S.

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is extremely cheap to own, even with gas prices where they are. I can get 325 miles on a tank. She's not the fastest going up hills, but acceleration is great for a 4 cylinder. I was told there was a recall on the rear seatbelts. I recommend this car for those who don't need a fast sporty car and like to save money on gas.

Nothing in this car is spectacular.

I recommend replacing the speakers along with the deck unit. Original speakers were impossible to blow with the standard deck.

I love it
By spencer

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's a pretty sweet ride. It's comfy, but probably not if you're more than about 6'1''. It's pretty quick. It's loud, but one gets used to it. The stereo is nice, installing a hi/low converter for a new amp is a pain though.

The steering is tight, the stereo is good for stock, the engine sounds nice at high RPM's.

It's a pain to find aftermarket body parts, new speakers are hard to find, tires are an odd size so they're more expensive, very rough idle (fuel injector cleaner doesn't help), very weak rear bumper (it's not reinforced and when I got bumped it cracked all the way across).

Best car I've owned to date.
By F Bean

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new at the advice of my brother, who is a Ford mechanic. He said they had yet to have one come in for any warranty work. True to his word, I've owned this car for 5 years, drive the heck out of it, wrecked it twice, and it still is there for me every time, knock on wood. I've never had to have it jumped or had it fail to start. I've had my oil changed every 3-4 thousand miles and it looks like honey. Good girl car, as it is dependable and looks good too!

The moonroof has always been my favorite feature and remains so. I worried at first that the motor might go out in the power moonroof, but even after thousands of openings and closings, it works perfectly.

They don't make this model anymore. I can't think of any realistic improvements needed.

Super Fast
By Phillip

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What a great car! I love my ZX2; it handles well and gets great gas mileage even with the 82,000 miles it has on it. This car can still move. Parts are a little expensive but still love it.

Great get up and go. It can really move into traffic. Stick shift is great and the best color is black; looks sporty. More to list of improvements: Needs center arm rest and seat belts are hard to reach. Lots of wind noise inside windows don't seal very well especially at high driving speeds! :)~

Where do I begin it was a cheap car but c'mon. Six disc changer beneath speaker kind stinks; when it bumps it skips. :( Also speakers little weak and rattling up front. Can't reach the oil filter for nothing. Paint chipping off bumper, probably my fault.